FIFTEEN: Truth

I need to stop cursing because I'm too lazy to go back and censor it

The moment I closed the door and Alberto was out of sight, Lucas suddenly regained the ability to speak. "What the hell is going on?"

"We're going to Italy!" I cheered, feigning enthusiasm.

"So I've gathered." Sarcastic son of a b*tch.

"I understand that this whole situation must seem incredibly surreal to you, but that's no reason to be a d*ck."

"You kidnapped me! I think that's a pretty good reason."

"Hmm... I disagree."

"I'm not in the mood for any of your games, Evelyn." Asshole.

"This isn't a game! I just don't know how or where to begin." I sighed, throwing myself down onto the red seat beside him, already missing home.

"Why don't you begin by telling me why we're leaving the country."

"Silvio Di Stefano lives in Italy and he offered to take us in." He did not offer. Alberto was known for holding debts against people for years at a time before finally cashing them in. But with the Cold War between the stubborn man in Italy and the one in New York, Silvio's estate was the perfect safe house.

"Why?" Lucas's attitude was improving at least. His voice wasn't as hostile.

"Because my husband knows what we did. Do you remember how I told you that we have connections at the Five Star Hotel?" I asked.

He nodded his head in silence.

"Well, one of them told on us and Enzo was furious. He was beyond furious. I have never seen him that angry before." I shook my head, trying to get rid of the image of the beast who had stood above me practically foaming at the mouth as he psychotically repeated the word revenge. "You're at the top of his hit list, Lucas. He wants nothing more than to tear you to shreds and dump your remains in the middle of the icy Atlantic as shark bait."

"You're insane." He stated like it was a fact.

"Maybe, maybe not, but I least I care about you." Even it was for selfish reasons. "I don't want you to die because of a mistake I made. I'm risking everything to keep you alive. Doesn't that count for something?"

"I guess." He swallowed hard. "But couldn't we have just gone to the cops?"

"Nope. Most of the New York police department is on his payroll. Asking for help from law enforcement wouldn't do us any good."

"Oh." That single word and the look on face as he said it was my confirmation that he finally understood what exactly I was a part of. I didn't have to say the dirty word aloud like I thought I would. What surprised me was how quickly he seemed to come to terms with our insane reality. Maybe Lucas just knew that there was no use in kicking and screaming over it... or maybe he was in shock. I wasn't sure, but I was praying it wasn't the latter.

"Yes, well I'm working with two very respected and experienced men. Between the three of us we should be able to come up with a solid plan. Maybe some kind of compromise." I didn't expect it to end peacefully, but there's no law against dreaming.

"And who are these men?" He sounded suspicious.

"Criminal masterminds who absolutely despise my husband. Well, Alberto does. Silvio, I think Silvio just feels betrayed. I don't think they hate each other though. There's too much history between them."