Prologue

Today was my first day of kindergarten.

My teacher's name is Mrs. Doyle. She didn't believe me when I told her I knew how to read and write. To prove I wasn't lying, she made me write sentences on the chalkboard.

"Well, that's mighty impressive, Layla," she said with smile that made the skin around her eyes crinkle.

"Thank you, Mrs. Doyle. May I go read my book now?"

"Yes, dear."

Later, the other kids were called back to their desks. Mrs. Doyle asked us to go around the room and say our full name and one interesting fact about ourselves.

A girl with brown hair and a pink dress went first. "My name is Jessica Anne Jermain," she said, "and I like horses."

I learned that Craig has a pet lizard, Janelle owns thirty-three hair scrunchies, and Zeke wants to be a doctor when he grows up.

Next to me, it was the black-haired boy's turn to go. "I'm Damian Robert Forbes," he told the class, "and I don't have a dad."

Lizard-owning Craig snickered. "Everyone has a dad, dummy."

"Watch your language, Craig!" Mrs. Doyle yelled.

Damian shook his head. "No, I only have a mom."

It was my turn to introduce myself. I looked at Damian, whose cheeks were as red as tomatoes, and said, "My name is Layla Jean Dodds, and I don't have a mom."

Damian grinned. "Thanks," he whispered.

I shrugged my shoulders and listened to Evan Miller tell the class that he has a mom and a dad who give him whatever he wants.

The school bell rang, signaling that it was time for lunch. Mrs. Doyle ordered for everyone to grab their lunch bags and walk in a single-file line to the cafeteria. I didn't have a lunch bag, so I made my way to the back of the line, shoving my hands into my pockets.

"Layla, where is your lunch?" Mrs. Doyle asked.

"I... forgot it at home," I lied.

She shook her head. "You need to bring a lunch."

"I'll share mine with her." Damian appeared beside me, a brown paper bag in his hand.

"Thank you, Damian. That's very sweet," she said.

Silently, we walked to the cafeteria. Damian sat next to me, spread out his lunch, and pushed it toward me.

"Take whatever you want. I'll eat what's leftover."

"You don't have to share with me," I told him. "I've gone without lunch before."

He raised his eyebrows. "Really?"

"Yeah, my dad doesn't keep a lot of food in the house. Can I have the apple?"

"Sure. Take the sandwich, too. I hate ham, but my mom packs it, anyway."

I devoured the apple and the sandwich, unsure of when I'd get to eat again. Dad didn't go grocery shopping often, and when he did, he usually only bought his three Bs: beer, bread, and beef jerky.

"I'll ask Mom to pack more food tomorrow," Damian said. "Do you want to come over sometime? We could have a play date. I have a lot of Legos."

I smiled. "I love Legos."

"Cool. I'll ask Mom about it when I get home."

When school ended at two o'clock, I said goodbye to Mrs. Doyle and Damian and got on my bus. Dad was sitting on the couch when I got home. He had a bottle of beer in one hand and the TV remote in the other.