Chapter Thirty

For the first time in three months, I walk to my locker. I turn the dial and open the metal apparatus. It's exactly as I left it. Some things never change.

I turn around and see Jose on the opposite side of the hall. Last spring, he would have scooped me up in his arms and kissed me like his life depended on it. Now he won't even look at me.

Some things never change, but some things definitely do.

"You okay, girl? You look like you've seen a ghost," Taisley says as she materializes beside me. In a pair of tight jeans, a body-hugging blue sweater, and high-heeled boots, she looks like a model on a magazine cover.

"Ex-boyfriend," I admit, nodding toward Jose.

"He's kinda cute," she remarks, pursing her scarlet-stained lips as she stares him up and down. "Is he seeing anyone?"

I roll my eyes. "He's all yours."

"I'm totally kidding! I would never date your ex," she assures me, although I don't think I believe her. "Anyway, I have my eyes on someone else."

"Who?"

"Oh, just a boy."

"You've been a student here for five minutes. How many boys could you have met?"

Her sapphire gaze lingers on Damian as he walks toward us. I guess I have my answer.

"He's off-limits, Taisley," I scold her.

She licks her lips. "He has a girlfriend, not a wife."

"Good morning," Damian greets us. He's adorned in a light blue t-shirt that brings out his eyes and hugs his toned chest in all the right places.

"Good morning to you, too, handsome," Taisley says coyly.

"Oh, look! It's Jessica!" I wave my hand, signaling for Damian's girlfriend to join us.

"Hey, guys!" She skips toward us and immediately locks her fingers through Damian's. "Happy first day of school!"

"Ah, yes, another year at Starkton High is about to commence. I'm quaking with excitement," I joke, causing Jessica and Damian to giggle. Taisley, however, looks unamused. I'm beginning to believe the only humor she finds funny is her own.

"I'll make sure this year is one you never forget," she says with a wink. "Trust me, fun is my specialty."

"I go to school and work two jobs. I don't have time for fun," I remind her.

"Why not quit your job at that silly diner? Doesn't Daddy pay you enough?" Taisley inquires.

"I'm not quitting Gabby's," I retort.

She shrugs her shoulders. "Whatever you say, girl."

"I'm not saying you should quit, but you are going to burn yourself to the ground if you don't make some time for yourself soon," Jessica voices, her hazel eyes wide with concern. "Just be careful."

"I will," I promise my friend. I give her a quick side hug before I say goodbye and make my way to my first class.

As the days go by, I start to take Jessica's warning to heart. Never in my life have I felt so drained, so mentally and physically exhausted.

It's only the fourth day of school, and it seems her prediction has already come true: I've burnt myself out.

I enter the cafeteria and spot my friends at our usual table. I force my body to move toward them, but my footsteps are slow and sluggish. I feel like a mild breeze would knock me over.