Chapter Seven

"What do you want for Christmas?" Ada asks.

"Christmas? Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!" I exclaim, mashing the potatoes Moira just boiled.

"I know, but I want to get you something special."

"Don't get me anything."

"What? I have to."

"No, you don't."

Ada rolls her brown eyes and examines the raw turkey in front of us. "I identity one-hundred percent as a carnivore, but seeing this dead, naked bird makes me want to give up meat forever."

"You won't be saying that once it's cooked." Damian enters the kitchen, a warm smile on his face. "My mom makes a mean turkey."

"She does," I concur. "I've come here every Thanksgiving since I was six. I never leave disappointed."

"You should come tomorrow," Damian says to Ada.

She looks surprised. "Really? Me?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "Yeah, why not? There'll be plenty of food."

"I'll ask my mom," she replies with a grin. "We always go to my Aunt Helen's house, but we're usually home by four."

"Come over after. We don't eat until five or six, anyway."

"Okay, cool. Thanks for the invite."

I smile to myself. It's nice to see my two best friends finally getting along.

Moira emerges from the basement, a giant baking sheet in her arms. "Finally found it!" she announces.

Damian takes it from her and places it on the kitchen counter. Together, they remove the turkey from it's wrapper and drop the dead bird on the tray. Ada looks like she's about to vomit.

"This part is gross," I murmur.

"It's official. I am now a vegetarian," she declares.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you guys!" Moira shouts, ignoring our commentary.

"What?" I inquire.

"I invited Keaton to dinner tomorrow," Moira informs us.

"Who's Keaton?" Ada asks, to which I don't have an answer. They've never mentioned Keaton before.

"He lives in the apartment complex down the road. He's a couple years older than you guys. He's emancipated, so he's all by himself. I just figured he'd appreciate a hot meal," Moira explains.

Ada raises her eyebrows. "Emancipated? What's that?"

"It's when someone under eighteen is no longer under the care of their parents," I begin. "Basically, you file a petition to the court explaining why you're self-sufficient, and if they accept it, you get to function as an adult before legally being an adult."

"I want to do that," Ada announces. "That sounds fun."

"It's a lot of work," Moira says. "Keaton had to drop out of school and get his GED so he could work full-time and support himself. He's barely making ends meet."

"That's why Mom brings him food every Friday," Damian says. "She's afraid he'll starve."

"I am! He's a nice boy who's been dealt a crappy hand." Moira puts on a pair of latex gloves and stares at the turkey. "Alright, who wants to help me stuff this bird?"

<><><><><><>

I take off my coat and walk int the Forbes' kitchen. The air smells like butter and cinnamon, and I can already feel my mouth watering.