Chapter Sixty-Eight

Before sunrise, I slither out of bed and knock on Damian's door

Before sunrise, I slither out of bed and knock on Damian's door. He doesn't answer, so I take it upon myself to enter without his permission.

He's still fast asleep. Adorned in nothing but a pair of loose-fitting shorts, his toned abdomen calls to me. I trace my fingers over the contours of his bare chest, memories of last night come back in flashes. Blushing, I pull my hand away.

"Layla?" he murmurs, his eyes still closed. Slowly, they flutter open, and a smile tugs at his lips. "Oh, I thought I was dreaming."

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I resist the urge to crawl into bed beside him. I already miss the warmth of his skin, his hands, his lips. I crave all of it, and based on this lustful glimmer in his eyes, I believe the feeling is mutual.

"You're not dreaming. I'm real," I say with a giggle.

Smiling, he pulls me on top of him and holds me against his chest. He doesn't try to do anything more than that, but just lying in his arms makes my heart race.

"There's something I need to talk to you about," I whisper, glancing down at him. God, he's beautiful, and not just his handsome face or his athletic physique. His soul is beautiful, too.

He caresses my cheek with the side of his hand. "What is it?"

"Last night, I had a long discussion with Effie," I begin, "and I learned that she's a member of the supernaturally-inclined club."

This seems to snap Damian out of his amorous trance. He sits up too fast, almost knocking me off the bed. "She is? What's her power?"

"Electrokinesis."

"Huh?"

"She can create and control electrical waves," I clarify. "She was struck by lightning a few years ago. Ever since, she's had this ability. Until last night, she thought she was the only one."

"How sad." His lips curl into a frown. "Did you tell her about me?"

"No," I reply, "but I told her about me."

"What did she say?"

"Nothing. She just hugged me."

Damian nods his head, a perplexed expression on his face. "Damn, you really are a magnet for all things bizarre and unexplained."

"Tell me about it."

"Well, uh, I should shower and get dressed," he says, glancing down at his exposed torso. "Maybe the two of us can talk to Effie after breakfast?"

"That's a good idea."

"And while we're at it, maybe you and I can talk about last night," he whispers, his blue eyes twinkling with hope. "Please?"

I swallow my nerves. "We will," I promise him. "Later, okay?"

His lips spread into a melancholy smile as he nods his head. "Okay."