chapter two

y/n p/o/v
Everyone was gathered in the living room, seated on the sofas and chairs. Ms. Mead and Ms. Venable stood at the corner of the room, as well as the greys near the doors. Mr.Langdon was stood at the center of the room, in front of the fireplace. The only sound in the room was the crackling of the fire, the only energy being uneasiness.

Breaking the silence, Mr.Langdon began to speak, "I am here on behalf of the cooperative. Besides from this outpost, the other two have been invaded and overrun. You are the only survivors, but not for much longer. I'm here to conclude who should be saved from here and brought to safety- I'll be conducting interviews to decide who is worthy."

Silence fell on the room again. Coco spoke up first out of the rest of us, " And what about those who you decide isn't worthy?" She sounded confident and snappy as usual; I wasn't sure how Mr. Langdon would appreciate her attitude. He didn't smirk as I assumed he would- instead he looked her cold in the eyes and stated: "They're to be left behind and die a slow death either of starvation or overrun."

"I'll go first." Mr. Gallant volunteered with a smirk, I wished him luck subconsciously. Something was telling me to be wary of this Mr.Langdon.

•••••••

It must have been about 2 am as I was waked by banging, a thumping noise. My head was cloudy as I stood up from my bed, buttoning up my nightgown buttons in case Ms.Venable would see me. I left my room, walking down the corridor to follow the trail of the noise. It was coming from the room beside Mr.Langdon's temporary office, Mr. Gallants room.

I opened the door with hesitation, holding back a gasp at the sight. Mr.Gallant was bent over the side of his bed, a latex man thrusting into him. I turned to run back to my room to avoid being spotted- but ran right into something.

I looked up terribly scared at who I would see- Mr.Langdon.

"Ms.L/N, what on earth are you doing out of your room at this time?" He asked in an ordering tone, commanding to know my answer. I didn't want to get Mr.Gallant into trouble, for sex he'd be murdered.
"I'm thirsty, I was just going to get a glass of water," I whispered back, It wasn't my intention, but as I went to speak I realized my anxiety was so terrible I couldn't speak above a whisper.

Mr.Langdon gripped my arm with a smile; the gentlest one I'd seen since his arrival. "You'll be coming to my office for your interview now, yes?" He asked (though I was certain he wasn't truly giving me a choice.)
"Sir, it's 2 am, could we not have it tomorrow?" I asked with a pleading in my voice. He grinned.
"This is my only offer. If you do not come
now, I'll completely eliminate the chance of bringing you back with me to safety." His voice was malicious and eyes glazed with depravity. I was in no position to deny.

••••••

He sat me opposite him, his desk separating us. That much distance gave me the slightest relief. "Y/N L/N, tell me about yourself. What are your likes and dislikes? hobbies and interests?" He began, as I predicted his first question was relatively innocent.
" I like iced tea and reading, I dislike cruelty and crime. My hobbies are reading and bird watching as well as caring for my pet dog- well, that was... before all of this, of course."
He looked satisfied. "Great start, oh, and so you know, if you lie I will know. If you sugarcoat the truth I will know. If you exaggerate the truth I will know. I suggest you don't do any of these, otherwise, I will second think to bring you with me to safety."

I nodded, fiddling with my hands on my lap. Mr.Langdon was strikingly intriguing.
"Now, Y/N, tell me what is your deepest fear?" He asked. I shuddered, I couldn't hide my fear from him. "Being alone," I confessed- he knew already, there was no point in lying.

"More specifically, being unloved." He finished me as if he were speaking on his own behalf. My eyes widened with embarrassment, looking down at the ground to avoid those ocean eyes of his. I felt something roll down my cheek, and I lifted my hand to feel it.

Tears. He had made me cry.
"My, My, don't cry sweet." He tutted and bent down in front of me, wiping the tears.
"I have but one more question for you." He spoke, in a tone that made me feel as if I had a choice for the first time since being in his presence. He was my only chance of survival. I nodded in obedience.

"What is your darkest desire?"

I didn't know how to respond- but I suddenly felt compelled to vocalize my thoughts.
"I'm not sure... I've always felt as though there's something inside of me, an urge, to let go...but I don't want to let go, Mr.Langdon I don't want to do anything bad, Mr.Langdon I don't want to hurt anybody!" I caught myself shouting, sobbing and wailing at the thought of letting go of my sanity.

Mr.Langdon grabbed me as I collapsed from his chair, pulling me up and onto his lap on the chair. "Good. You've been good, it's okay now. You don't have to worry about answering any more questions." He hushed into my ear and I couldn't tell if he made me panic worse or calmed me. "Am I going to die? I'm sorry, I'm sorry for crying I promise I won't do it again! Oh god, you're going to leave me here, I'm going to die!" I bawled into his chest. I had nobody and nothing; sat on this strange man's lap sobbing into his chest. What had become of me?

He grabbed the sides of my heads gently, pulling me up to look at him. " I am not going to leave you to die, that is, not if you do what I say."