17

"We could leave you know." I said the next morning. We were in Sirius' bed, leaning against the wall. His fingers ran up and down my arm.

"Leave?"

"Run away. Go somewhere better. This war is real. Gideon Prewitt is dead. He's only a few years older than us Sirius."

"Where is this coming from Marlene? Everyone we love is here."

"I don't love anyone like I love you. If I lost you, I don't know what I'd do. I need you to be safe. I don't care about anyone else."

"You don't mean that. What about Lily, the Potters?"

"Of course they matter to me, but nothing matters as much as you." He pulled me closer.

"You don't mean that."

"I do."

"How would you feel if something happened to James?" I hesitated, trying to imagine what it would feel like to lose my oldest friend. "Exactly. Running away is a great idea, but we have something to fight for here."

He stood up and smiled at me. He loved to be right. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Fine. But if anything happens to you, I'll kill you. The way you carry on..."

"I'll take out a couple deatheaters?"

"You'll die." I told him bluntly. I frowned and he walked back over to me.

"Everyone dies Mar. Might as well do it fighting for something," he said softly, leaning down to kiss my hair. 

"If we stay here Sirius...I'm gonna die." He rested his forehead against mine and breathed in deeply.

"I'm not letting anything happen to you Marlene. Ever. That's a promise."

"You saw what the tea leaves said Sirius," I responded stubbornly but didn't move away from him.

Before Sirius could reply, James came bursting through the door. We both rolled our eyes but broke apart to look over at him.

"Yes Jimmy Jam?" I asked sweetly. He scrunched his nose at the old nickname.

"It's Christmas morning, lovebirds. Mum says breakfast is ready and then it's time for gifts."

Sirius and I were both in pyjamas, but so was James so we didn't bother to change. Mrs. Potter wrapped us each in a hug when we entered the kitchen. Sirius leaned down to kiss her cheek and I gave her a wide smile.

"Eat up, the both of you. You've both been looking a bit peaky lately. You go ahead as well James, though Merlin knows I don't need to worry about you eating enough."

James opened his mouth to protest but it was already full of bacon. Just then, Mr. Potter entered he room. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and his other hand landed on Sirius' shoulder.

"Morning kids. I trust you were behaving upstairs." He gave us a stern look that quickly melted away to a fond smile as Sirius and I nodded hurriedly. "Mmhm, I'm sure you were." 

"Oh let them be Fleamont, it's Christmas," Mrs. Potter chided gently.

"Yes dear," he replied in the way husbands do. The look in his eye as he watched his wife push food at his son and two adopted children gave me hope that maybe Sirius wouldn't fall out of love with me one day. It was the look of young love that hadn't faded.

After breakfast, we made our way to the living room. James has donned a ridiculous muggle Santa hat that i was sure he had bought to impress Lily,even though she wasn't even here to see it, and started passing out gifts from under the tree. We were all laughing and smiling, and for a moment, it was easy to forget everything that was happening outside.

It didn't last for long though. It never did.

Mr. Potter stood up from his chair, letting out a loud guffaw at James and Sirius, who were making stupid faces back and forth at each other. But then, the smile slipped off his face. He clutched at his chest before collapsing. Mrs. Potter and I both screamed and the boys froze. We all stood, still and silent, for a split second, before we all jumped into action.

James and Sirius ran over to to Mr. Potter, and lifted him towards the fire place. I grabbed floo powder from the vase by the fireplace, and we each stepped into it, rushing to St. My god hospital.