25

"No no no, let me finish Lily!" I laughed. We were laying on my bed and I was telling her about a stupid argument Sirius and I had had. The funny kind, not the nasty kind. "So I was like, wow that's so cool that I like respect you and think you're a nice person. I think you're the first person I've made out with that I felt that way about. And he was like I respect you and think that you're a good person too!"

"Okay, and?" Lily prompted.

"So I was like no Sirius I called you a nice person. And he was like and? You're a good person. And I said, no Sirius, you have to tell me that I'm a nice person now."

"And? Did he?"

"This man looked me dead in the face and said. Marlene, I think you are a good person. My own boyfriend won't even call me a nice person!"

Lily burst out in laughter as I finished. The door opened behind us and Emmeline walked in. I tensed and Lily touched my leg. I had been extra tense around Emmeline since Sirius and I had been back together.

"Well," Lily said, "I'm late to meet James. I'll see you two later."

I knew she had no plans with James. This was her way of telling me to talk to Emmeline.

"So," Emmeline said as Lily left, " you and Sirius are back together."

"Uh yeah. few days now I guess." I watched her carefully, reading her face for any emotion. She didn't give anything away.

"Good, I'm happy for you guys. I'm rooting for you y'know." I almost scoffed as she said it but I held it in.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Are you in love with him?"

"What?" She sounded shocked. I took that as a good sign. "Sirius? God no, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I've never been in love. I just think he's attractive."

"What about Remus?"

"Remus and I liked each other, but I don't think either of us were in love."

"So you were willing to throw away our friendship over a boy you didn't love?" She straightened and looked at me at that, her brow furrowed.

"Marlene, I've apologized for that. I over reacted and I regret it. But he was still my boyfriend."

"Look, Emmeline. I care about you and I want to be your friend again but I want you to stay away from him, got it? If you so much as look at my boyfriend the wrong way I will fucking come for you. I spent so long feeling guilty about kissing Remus, but you still don't even seem sorry about sleeping with Sirius. So you're gonna stay away from him. He's spent months trying to make this up to me, and you've barely apologized."

She looked surprised, but before she could speak, I had turned on my heel and left. I went over to the boys common room, where Sirius and James were hanging out. No Lily.

"I knew she wasn't late to meet you, that dirty birch!" I said as I walked into the room.

"Excuse me? That is my girlfriend McKinnon!"

"Well your girlfriend is a dirty bitch who just made me have a one on one chat with Emmeline."

"And? What did you say?" James asked.

"I'd rather not say Jimmy Jam, it was a bit nastier than I had intended." Sirius laughed.

"See McKinnon," he said "I was right not to tell you're a nice person"

I kicked him lightly. "Oh hush you." I leaned down to kiss him "hi baby."

"Hi babes." His face lit up for a second. "I have a surprise for you!"