Babysitting

"There was this time long ago, I was in charge of watching my cousin and his four friends while they slept over.

My uncle was paying me 100 bucks to watch them for the night. All I did was play video games with a bunch of 10 years old for most of the night. I thought it would be the easiest 100 bucks I ever made, but things took a huge turn for the worst when I heard footsteps coming from upstairs.

We were in the basement playing video games. Two of the kids also heard the sound. I counted five kids sitting on the couches and neither my aunt or uncle was supposed to be home that night.

I swallowed my gum when I realized the basement door was wide open. I told them to stay there while I ran upstairs to shut the door.

The door didn't have a lock from the inside, only the outside. I called to the kids to hide in the workout room.

I shut the T.V and all the light and them followed the kids into the workout room.

We listened in the dark as the footsteps approached the basement door, and then the horrible sound of the basement door opening followed by heavy steps stomping down each stair. One by one.

One of my cousins friends were crying. I had to tell them to shut the hell up.

I leaned against the door with a chair along with a bunch of barbell weights wedged against it.

I listened as the door to the boiler room was opened and a few moments later, closed. Screams of children filled the room as the doorknob to the workout room began to turn.

I pushed the door with all my might to keep it shut. Whoever was on the other side quickly gave up as we heard rushed footsteps going up the stairs.

I heard the footsteps right above our heads moving in the direction of the front door.

This was before everybody had cell phones so calling somebody first wasn't an option.

I scanned the whole house, finding that the front door had been left open and all the bedrooms upstairs had been trashed. Nobody was in the house so I called the kids up.

A few things had been stolen, but as long as nobody was hurt, we were all happy."

-anonymous author