Let Yourself In

"So it was my last delivery of the night at Domino's Pizza to a house that was about 10 minutes away from the shop.

There was a note on the door which I read after ringing the bell.

It said, 'To pizza guy, please let yourself in and leave the pizza in the upstairs bedroom. Money will be on the bed."

Immediately, red flags were springing up in my head all over. I actually called my boss and told him I didn't feel safe going in there, and he actually told me it would be best to just go inside.

I tried to use my charm, as people say I have, to persuade my boss, but he was hellbent on me not bringing back that pizza .

The door was unlocked so I let myself in.

It was an average sized house, with some furniture that seemed a bit aged. There was a small night light shaped like a candle on the wall, providing just enough light to see a bit into the living room and my way upstairs.

There were no lights in any of the rooms up there, just another candle night light.

More red flags going off in my head.

I come to the end of the small hallway upstairs. There are two doors, one open, one shut. The open door leads into a dark room which I had to guess was the bedroom.

As you may imagine, I was shaking in my shoes, afraid for any sudden sounds or movements anywhere.

I pushed the door open completely and pressed my hand against the wall looking for the light switch.

Found it. I flicked it on.

Nothing.

The lights didn't seem to work in this room.

I very slowly walked over to the center of the room until something cushiony stopped my leg. It was a bed.

I placed the pizza on the bed and began to search for the money in the dark.

Just then, I heard the faintest, quietest thing come from outside of the room.

I lifted my head and then resumed searching even faster. I was hoping to God it was just some kind of old person living here and they were too sick or nervous or whatever to meet someone.

I found the money. It felt like two bills, I hoped they were tens.

I put them in my pocket and left the room.

I stopped outside the room and saw the door to the other room was open. I could've sworn it was shut earlier.

'Uh...your pizza's on the bed. Have a great day.'

I myself could hear the shake in my voice.

There was no kind of response. I started to lean into the dark room to maybe get a better view. Too dark.

I reached my hand into the room and searched for a light switch but something grabbed my arm with a painfully tight grip and tried pulling me into the room.

I screamed and jabbed at the arm with my keys, finally breaking free and getting back to my car. Nothing chased me out, nobody followed my car.

I told my boss about it and even talked him into giving me a raise for making me go through that hell. He didn't want me to call the cops for whatever reason.

It really wasn't on the top of my mind, but in hind sight, I guess it would be make sense to get the police to check that place out.

Anyway, not everything was terrible. I did get my pay raised from $7.50 to $8.50."

~Anonymous Author