Upstairs

"This happened when I was really little and I lived alone with my single mom.

She always came to check on me every night when she would get up to go to the bathroom. This one night in particular, I remember waking up thinking I heard something in my closet.

I looked up and my mom was at the foot of my bed giving me a playful wave. She told me to go back to sleep.

She then went into my closet and pulled the door until it was just barely open, and she just...stood in there, poking her head through the crack of the barely opened closet.

I remember vividly seeing her eye, peeking through the crack at me. I...laughed like any little kid would do in that situation, and then fell asleep moments later.

***

When I was eating cereal the next morning, I asked my mom why she was hiding in the closet last night, and she just stopped and gave me a puzzled and concerned look.

She told me...she hadn't been in the room all night. At first, she assumed somebody had broken into the house. But she soon realized...it was some kind of hallucination or dream.

Since this experience I have only had two other hallucinations.

Neither of them, as vivid or as creepy as this one."

~Anonymous Author