Chapter 1

It wasn't easy being constantly surrounded by superheroes when you have no powers of your own, but that was the hand you were dealt by fate. After your parents died a few years ago, you hadn't had any choice but to move into the Avenger's Tower. Ok, you had a choice, but it was go into foster care or move into the tower. You picked the tower. Your uncle was there and was your guardian until you turned 18. It was fine, most of the time anyway. Mostly, you were just a kid sister to the older supers, an adopted daughter to some, and friend to those your own age. No one really seemed to look down on you for not having powers. You had the feeling they were just expecting you to eventually get them, your uncle being who he was.

After the Avengers came out to the world, after the battle of New York, mutants and people with powers began showing up and congregating. Some kind of magic had broken in the world, giving powers to random people. Uncle Tony opened up the tower to them and an entire superhero squad was formed from it. More squads formed around the world as some of the supers were drawn to helping others, while others were drawn to more sinister motives.

You looked up from the book you were reading in the livingroom when Uncle Tony and his patrol squad returned to the tower. The patrol squad tonight consisted of the original six Avengers. You jumped up from the couch when you realized it was him and ran over to greet him. "Uncle Tony! You're back! How did patrol go? I didn't see you guys on the news tonight-" you stopped talking when you saw the stranger among them. You gave the stranger a smile. "Sorry, I didn't see you. New recruit?" you asked the team.

Tony nodded, but had a hard edge to his look. "He's a new recruit in a matter of speaking. He is under strict orders to Stay. Away. From. You." He spat those last words at the newcomer, who stayed silent, but looked down and away from you and Tony.

Tony and his team were all still in their costumes and armor. The newcomer was wearing leather armor in black and green. The newcomer was also wearing handcuffs. They weren't just any cuffs either, but looked way thicker than usual and covered in magical runes. There was about a foot of chain between the cuffs too. You stepped back, shocked that Tony and the team brought Loki to the tower. In chains. "Nat, can you take Kat upstairs?" Tony asked with the air of your overprotective uncle. Nat nodded and stepped over to you. Of course Tony trusted the assassin to keep you safe. "Sorry, Kat, I'll be up in a little bit to explain," Tony told you. Your name wasn't really Kat, of course, but Tony had called you that as a nickname since you were born and everyone you knew had adopted it. You also saw in his expression that he was begging you not to make a big deal right now. This was business, whatever was going on with Loki.

You nodded, though you really wanted the explanation now. You grabbed your book from the couch and went upstairs with Nat, letting her walk with you to keep you safe. Though you were perfectly safe in your own home.

Nat walked you all the way back to your room. "Is everything ok?" you asked her, concerned as to why they were bringing someone here who was in handcuffs.

She nodded. "It will be. Tony just wants to get him settled in and he wants to make sure you're safe. You know how he is..." You nodded with an eyeroll. You knew damn well how overprotective your uncle was.

It was one reason you were living here after your parents died in the fire that consumed your house. It had been set by an evil villain who wanted your parents' money. Tony wasn't the only one who was rich. Your father had worked with his brother in founding Stark Industries. He just stayed out of the limelight as he wasn't the showman that Howard had been. Tony had saved you from the fire, but couldn't save your parents...

You shook the bad memories away when Nat spoke again. "I should help Tony with the new guy. Will you be ok alone?" She asked, sounding concerned, though she knew you'd be fine in your own room.

"I'll be fine, Nat," you sighed in exasperation. You weren't a weakling just because you didn't have powers like the others.

Nat nodded, willing to leave you. "Lock your door," she ordered before she turned and left to go deal with Loki with the others. You did as you were bid and went into your room and locked the door behind you.

It was only a couple of minutes before there was a knock on you door. You opened it warily, though expected to see Tony. Instead, it was one of the other supers, a tiny girl named Jane. She could have been a professional gymnast, but instead she had super strength and could fly. She looked like she should be a ballerina and loved to surprise villains with the nature of her powers. "Hi Jane," you said brightly, wondering why she was here.

"Tony wanted me to stay with you until he's done dealing with the new guy," she explained, rolling her eyes and looking put-upon. "Can I come in?" you nodded, opening the door to let her inside.

"What's up with this new guy? You're all on edge," you grumbled. She hesitated. Everyone knew of the battle of New York and who Loki was, but that didn't explain why he was here when you thought he was supposed to be on Asgard in the dungeons.

"He was a villain, but claims to have switched sides and wants to join us. Tony still thinks he's dangerous." You could tell that wasn't the entire story, but that was all you were going to get out of Jane. Jane was polite, but she hated her powers and hated being here, so she wasn't always the friendliest.

Since you were a permanent resident here, you had an entire suite, a small 'sitting room', aka a livingroom to those of us living in the 21st century, a bedroom, and a bathroom. At least you and Jane could sit comfortably in your livingroom. There was a couch and a comfy chair in front of the TV. Your desk with all of my homework was on one wall and you had a reading nook in the window. You spent a stupid amount of time reading, since you didn't leave the tower much besides school. You curled up on your couch with your book and Jane sat on the other end, watching TV. You were both silent, but it was a comfortable one.

There was another knock on your door about an hour later. You got up to see who it was, but Jane beat you there and opened the door to show Tony on the other side. "Thanks Jane," he greeted her as he stepped past her into the room. She nodded and left to go back to her own devices and get away from babysitting duty

"What's going on?" you asked Tony once she was gone. Tony came in the rest of the way and took a seat on 'his' side of your couch. You took your seat again, knowing that he'd tell you when he was ready.

"Loki and Thor returned to Earth. They claim Loki is here to make amends and help the team," Tony started, sounding exasperated and like he didn't believe what the gods said.

"That's really Loki?" you demanded, interrupting him. Of course you had seen the news and reports of the aliens coming to Earth to try to take it over, you'd watched it in real time while your friends and family fought them. They had been stopped because Loki had switched sides to help the Avengers defeat the rest of the villains, including its leader, his brother Balder. Balder had escaped and Loki had returned to Asgard with Thor.

Tony nodded. "He says he's repented, but he's not to be trusted. He fought on the wrong team and hurt a lot of people. Kat, please, I know you have too big of a heart for your own good, but stay away from him, please,"

Like that was going to happen.