Chapter 31

You somehow managed to keep your vow to yourself that you wouldn't go seeking Loki's comfort. At least you did until a disturbance woke you from the light doze you had finally managed. Your bangle was on your bedside table, so your powers were wide open. You were supposed to practice being without it, especially in the quiet in the middle of the night.

You sat up, trying to figure out what you were sensing, what had woken you. You felt the distressed thoughts coming from the direction of Loki's suite and jumped out of bed in an instant, running to go help him. Loki never lost control. Whatever it was, it had to be bad for you to feel his thoughts and emotions.

You were grateful in the moment you burst through his door that he left it unlocked, and more grateful that his shields recognized you and let you through with no hesitation.

You found him tossing and turning in his bed, trapped in a nightmare. You knew then how he had felt all the nights he had seen you in the same state. You hated the feeling of helplessness and ran over and jumped up onto his bed, desperate to do something to help him. You grabbed him your the shoulders, holding him to the bed to keep him from thrashing. "Loki! Wake up!" you bid him, shaking him, but he was lost to the nightmare and couldn't hear you. You took a breath and moved your hands, grabbing his bare arms instead. You knew from your own studies on super powers that physical contact increased abilities.

You hoped that it would work now.

Loki needed you.

A second later you were sucked into his nightmare and saw what he was seeing.

You were lying on the floor in front of him. It was strange to see yourself, but you did as if you were no more than a ghost observing the scene. You were on your back on the floor, struggling to breathe. There was a wound in your chest, near your heart, if not through your heart. The blood was gushing through Loki's hand that was placed there, as he was trying to stop the flow of your blood. Your blood just kept pouring through all of his efforts as he knelt beside you, his entire body glowing as he threw every drop of healing magic he had in to you, but it wasn't enough. It wouldn't be enough. You were fading too quickly and his power couldn't keep up.

The nightmare let you go and Loki bolted up, clutching you to him before he even truly realized you were there. He gripped you tight enough to bruise, as if, if he loosened his grip, he would lose you. "I'm here, Loki. I'm safe. It was just a dream," you told him softly, letting him clutch on to you, despite the pain of his crushing grip. You stroked his hair, soothingly, knowing that it was one of Loki's weaknesses.

"You were dying in my arms. I was there and couldn't stop it, couldn't save you," he sounded so lost and scared. You could hear the tears in his voice.

"It was a dream, Loki," you reminded him gently. "It was just a dream. I'm safe and right here. Not bleeding, not dying, not hurt at all." He finally relaxed once it clicked that you really were there and really were safe. He loosened his grip on you, but seemed reluctant to let you go. "Love, I don't mind cuddling, but can you let me move a little?" you asked him, blushing. You had straddled him to hold him down and keep him from thrashing and hurting one or both of you. He had sat up and now you was stuck straddling his lap, which you was not comfortable with given recent events. He hesitated, but did loosen his grip enough for you to move and curl up against his side. You sat like that in silence, with him petting your hair for his reassurance. "Would you like to get a cup of tea?" you asked him with a tentative smile. It's what you did after you had nightmares, it might help him too. He looked down at your smile and gave you a tentative one of his own.

"That sounds like an excellent idea," he replied softly. You got out of the bed first, and helped him to his feet, wrapping your arms around him. He held you to him as you walked downstairs to go find his tea. He wouldn't leave the kitchen while you were making it, instead perching on one of the stools so he could watch you, like if he let you out of his sight for a moment, you would be lost to him forever.