~2~

Rosekit felt the cold breeze ruffle her fur, and she closed her eyes, a purr rumbling in her throat. The gathering place was a clearing in the middle of the forest; hidden by dark shadows that were only broken by the occasional beam of moonlight that shone through the branches. Rosekit twitched her whiskers, watching the kits from other clans tumble around, though never too far from their mothers. She could see Goldenkit batting at Hollyflower's tail, and her paws itched, wanting to join him. 

     Around her, soft murmurs of conversation rose as cats from different clans greeted each other. There's so many of them, Rosekit thought, her eyes wide. So many cats she didn't recognize were padding around the clearing, some of them with kits clinging to their side. A dappled silver kit played with his littermates, though his yowling was quickly silenced by his mother. Deerflight was talking to another cat that looked like her; with sharp blue eyes and darker brown stripes. Yet her fur was the same colour as Deerflight's, and she purred at something she said.

       "These are my kits," her mother meowed as she padded towards them. She rasped a tongue over Rosekit's light grey fur and purred at Seedkit, who was peering up at the strange cat with anxious wide grey eyes.

       The cat nodded, purring. "He looks like Cedartail," she meowed quietly, before swinging her head to look at Rosekit. 

      "I'm Rosekit," she meowed, puffing out her chest, before licking the white fur. "I'm going to be an apprentice!"

       The cat's eyes danced with amusement, and she flicked her tail. "Hello, Rosekit. I'm Hazelfur of IvyClan, your mother's litter sister." She dipped her head. "And I'm sure you'll grow up to be a wonderful warrior." Soon, the murmurs quieted as the five leaders approached the stone in the middle of their clearing. They dipped their heads in respect, before launching themselves up to the rock one by one. The deputies sat at the bottom of the rocks, underneath their leaders with their chin raised.

      The clearing quieted, and with a nod of her head, Hazelfur walked to join her clanmates across the clearing.

       Rosekit sat beside Seedkit and Deerflight, feeling their warmth beside her as she gazed up at the moonlight. Cedartail padded over to join them, and Rosekit bounded over to her father. Cedartail purred, licking her head.

     "We are very proud of you," he said, his eyes twinkling as he exchanged a gaze with Deerflight. A twinge of sorrow seemed to linger in his grey eyes, and he leaned down to whisper something to Seedkit.

     Seedkit was trembling, but he stopped quivering slightly as he pressed closer to Rosekit, who batted him playfully. 

     "Cats of all clans!"

      Echostar's yowl rang across the clearing, and her eyes sparkled as she gazed at the cats gathered below her. 

      "As you know, today is a special occasion," she continued, her calm grey gaze sweeping the clearing. "All the kits gathered here today have reached the age of 6 moons, and are ready to be apprenticed. More importantly, they are ready to choose their clans; the clans that they shall value above their own lives."

      Rosekit quivered in excitement, leaning forward. 

      " As you know, the choosing shall take place here." It was Amberstar who continued, her strong voice seeming to echo as she paused to glance at the kits who stood by their mothers. Rosekit remembered her mother telling her about the other clan leaders; so she knew the strong, lithe cat who had spoken must be the FrostClan leader.

      "However, mentors shall be chosen on the next day, when apprentices are in their chosen clan." It was Aspenstar who continued, his eyes clear and steady.

       With a sweep of a tail, an elegant she-cat walked forward. Petalstar.  "Underneath the moonlight and the Silverpelt of StarClan, we look to you, our warrior ancestors, to guide these kits in choosing their Clan." 

      The words seemed to stir excitement and Rosekit saw Deerflight press her head to Cedartail's shoulder. 

       "I remember this, it seems so long ago now, doesn't it?" Her words were soft and barely audible, but Rosekit could see Cedartail's loving gaze. 

         "Now. Let's start with the kits of MossClan first." Fawnstar's eyes were excited as he gazed down at his clan. A few cats shifted, rolling their eyes. 

         "Trust Fawnstar to always want to go first," Rosekit heard an older warrior whisper to their companion. 

          But all of the sounds turned dim inside the grey kit's head as she gazed at the first kit who padded up to choose his clan. 

          She shivered, equal parts worried and scared, yet focusing on the excitement racing through her paws. 

          This is really happening, she realized.