~6~

Rosepaw felt her heart pounding in her chest as she padded over to join the other kits sitting by the rock. She raised her head to gaze at the silver pelt high above her head and wished she didn't feel so alone. What would it be like if I'd chosen DoveClan? She closed her eyes, imagining Seedkit, Deerflight and Cedartail yowling her name. She imagined the tall seeping branches of the oak trees and felt her heart ache in longing. 

      But just then, she caught Sunfeather's gaze. She dipped her head subtly towards Rosepaw, and the kit blinked her eyes gratefully. Rosekit shifted on her paws, glancing quickly at the other two soon-to-be-made assistants. Their mother, a beautiful she-cat with cream fur and grey dapples, was licking them frantically. 

     "Oh, Rushpelt would be so proud of you," Rosekit heard the she-cat murmur quietly to her kits, before blinking at them and padding away to watch with the other cats. 

     "Leafkit, step forward." 

      Amberstar's eyes shone with pride as she flicked her tail, beckoning for the little kit to join her. Rosekit watched, and she noticed with surprise that Leafkit's right paw was twisted, though she showed no signs of limping. The light brown kit licked her chest as she stopped before Amberstar, her head bowed in respect.

     "Leafkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Leafpaw. Your mentor will be  Sunfeather. I hope she will pass down all she knows on to you."

    Rosekit watched as the kit trembled with barely contained excitement, and she watched in awe as the light-hearted, kind warrior stepped forward with her chin high. 

     "Sunfeather, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Willowclaw, and you have shown yourself to be courageous and honourable. You will be the mentor of Leafpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Leafpaw." 

     Leafpaw bounded over to her new mentor, touching noses. The clan erupted in yowls, and Rosepaw joined in. 

    "Leafpaw! Leafpaw! Leafpaw!"  

     Amberstar nodded once, before flicking her tail towards Rosekit. She tried her hardest to smooth her pelt, before she padded up to stand beside Amberstar, gazing down at her clanmates gathered below. She felt her heart beat in anticipation as the FrostClan leader looked at her, happiness glowing in her eyes. 

    "Rosekit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed to a warrior of FrostClan. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Rosepaw. Your mentor will be Nightflower. I hope she will pass down all she knows on to you."

     Rosekit watched as an elegant pure black she-cat with a splash of white on her chest stepped forward, giving Rosekit a quick, solemn nod. 

   "Nightflower, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Hawkclaw and you have shown yourself to be loyal and fearless. You will be the mentor of Rosepaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Rosepaw."

     Rosepaw felt her heart swell as she touched noses with Nightflower, who, despite the solemnity in her vibrant gaze, gave Rosepaw a quick, comforting lick on her shoulder. The clan yowled her name until the forest echoed with their cheers. 

     I'm finally a FrostClan apprentice!