~7~

Rosepaw let out a yawn as she stretched in the apprentice den, sighing happily at the rays of sunlight that shone through the twigs of the den, leaving warm yellow patches of sunlight scattered on the leaf-covered floor. 

     "Watch it, furball," Hailpaw muttered crossly as Rosepaw's twitching tail smacked his face. 

      "Sorry, Hailpaw," Rosekit said. She stifled a small mrrow of laughter as she glanced at the grey tom; a bright green leaf was perched on his head, stubbornly sticking onto his fur like a burr.

     Hailpaw let out another annoyed growl, before flopping onto his back. 

    "Oh, don't mind him. He's just a grumpy badger in the mornings," Leafpaw said. She blinked, her green eyes shining as she licked her light brown pelt. 

     "Let's go! Our mentors must be waiting," Rosepaw called as she flicked her tail. Leafpaw followed her out of the den, with a still grumbling Hailpaw close behind. 

      Blacktail, Hailpaw's mentor, was waiting for them in the camp. He flicked his black tail, nodding approvingly at the apprentices. 

       "We'll show you around FrostClan's borders, and then break off into private training with your mentors," he said. He nodded towards Leafpaw and Rosepaw. 

       "Nightflower and Sunfeather are already waiting by the IvyClan border; they just went out for dawn patrols."

       Rosepaw and Leafpaw nodded, and the trio followed Blacktail as they headed out away from the camp. 

       The forest was filled to the brim with new scents and unfamiliar sounds. Leafpaw padded close to Blacktail, while Rosepaw's eyes shone with excitement as she took in the new landscape around her. High, arching trees provided a green, never-ending canopy above her head, and she purred at the sunlight warming her pelt. Even Hailpaw let out a content sigh as he marched a few tail-lengths after them

       "Be careful, Rosepaw. And Hailpaw, keep up!" Blacktail meowed. Obediently, Rosepaw drew herself away from a blackberry bush she was exploring and joined the sleek black cat.

        "Alright, here we are," Blacktail said as he drew to a stop. The forest had become thinner, with sparser trees giving away to shrubs. 

      "On the other side is IvyClan," Blacktail said, flicking his tail to the open area beside them. Rosepaw nodded, careful to take in the scent markings. 

      "Ah," Blacktail meowed, relieved. "And here comes Sunfeather and Nightflower. Ready for your first lesson, apprentices?"