~4~

Rosekit quivered as she sat among her new clan mates, trying to ignore the worry that gnawed at her. She focused on the leaders that sat perched on the rocks, and she shifted on her paws, not daring to look back at her old clan. She felt her pelt prickle, and she lowered her head, her pelt hot with shame. 

        She barely heard the rest of the choosing ceremony, and she'd had looked up only once in surprise when she heard Goldenkit choose MossClan, instead of DoveClan. They'd exchanged a quick glance of sympathy and sorrow before he walked away, his golden pelt swallowed up by the different pelts of MossClan. Goldenkit and I were the only transfers, she realized.

       Have I really made the right decision? She cast a quick glance at her new clan. She was surprised to see a cat looking back at her; the same lithe she-cat that had led her to FrostClan after she'd chosen. The she-cat's green eyes sparkled as she met Rosekit's gaze.

       The she-cat padded over to sit by Rosekit, and Rosekit felt her chest swell in gratitude. 

       "I'm Sunfeather," she meowed softly. Her golden-cream fur glowed under the moonlight and the dappled spots on her chest shone in the moonlight. 

        "It must have taken courage to leave your own clan," Sunfeather meowed, her green eyes seeming to shine in sympathy. 

        Rosekit blinked at her. "I don't know whether I-whether I made the right decision." Her meow quivered, and she looked away, embarrassed.

        Sunfeather dipped her head. "I completely understand, " she murmmered. "In fact, that's how I felt too; when I chose  FrostClan over DoveClan." 

       Rosekit looked up at the strong she-cat in shock. Confidence seemed to ripple from her pelt, even though she gazed back at DoveClan with sadness in her gaze. 

       "Do you ever regret it?"

        This time, Sunfeather's meow was firm when she shook her head, purring. "Never." 

        Rosekit opened her mouth to say something, but Aspenstar's meow cut through the clearing.

       "Cats of all Clans! We thank you all for attending the choosing ceremony. New apprentices of clans, may your loyalty never waver and may StarClan light your path." 

        All cats of the clan yowled, their words echoing into the night. "May StarClan light your path!"

       And then, the cats streamed away, each heading off to their homes. Back to their clans. Rosekit shivered, lowering her head as she felt the other apprentices' curious gazes on her.

      "Don't worry," Sunfeather meowed beside her, as if reading her mind. "Hailkit and Leafkit will help you get settled. 

       The comforting older cat's presence soothed Rosekit, but when she padded out of the clearing, her eyes met Seedkit's.

       His cream fur was tousled,  and he lifted his head, blinking sadly. "Goodbye, Rosekit," he meowed softly, before bounding away to rejoin his Clan. 

       Rosekit lowered her head, but she remembered Sunfeather's words. She would be a FrostClan cat now, and she was about to see her new home!

       Suddenly, her sadness and fear were swept away by the excitement, and for a split second, she was free.