chapter three

03 ; THE PROMISE

03 ; THE PROMISE

My name is Ophelia. Ophelia Blake.

─ 𝐎𝐩𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐚 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐤𝐞

────────────────────

MY BREATH HITCHED. I'm standing there, my mouth wide open, looking in the crowded place for Posy. I couldn't spot her, but instead my eyes met Gale's. He looked at me, helpless and in shock. That was the worst case I ever imagined. Posy's slip chosen and Gale with no chance of saving her.

But I can.

"Posy Hawthorne? Where are you, darling?" Effie happily called again for Posy, making me sick.

That's when I finally spotted Gale's younger sister. She slowly stepped forward, heading into the direction of the stage. The other girls around her stepped away in shock, so she could move easier to the stage.

I turned my head again, this time meeting my brother's eyes.

No.

Ace repeatedly mouthed to me, knowing exactly what I was about to do.

I raise my voice, not thinking clearly.

"Stop! I volunteer!"

Every single person turned their attention to me, looking at me in shock. District 12 has never had a volunteer.

"I volunteer as tribute!"

I hate the attention I receive for what I've just done. All eyes scanning me from head to toe.

"I believe we have a volunteer! Exciting!" Effie cheered and clapped, the crowd staying quiet.

I quickly made my way over to Posy, hugging her tightly. "Tell Gale to look after Ace, Posy."

Posy nodded, crying into my chest before the peacekeepers tugg her away from me. I hear her screaming behind me but suddenly someone screamed even louder. The person screamed my name in such pain I've never experienced before.