chapter five

05 ; CAPITOL'S FAVORITE

That one will be our biggest problem, he's a physical wonder .

𝐇𝐚𝐲𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐀𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐲

────────────────────

ME AND PEETA sat there quite a while talking before Effie found us in the last car of the train. She dragged us with her into another room in the high-speed train. Haymitch was already sitting in a comfy armchair. He was busy sipping his next drink, not looking up to greet us. But I wouldn't greet me either after our scene earlier.

"Take a seat, darlings!" Effie chirped, always being in the brightest mood. Me and Peeta exchange glances before sitting down in the armchairs. I looked at the fresh fruits on the table in front of me, I couldn't resist to lean forward and take some grapes. I'm not used to have fresh food to me every second.

"Well, we're here to analyse the Reapings from the other districts, to look out for potential allies or strong adversaries."

I raised an eyebrow. "Allies?"

"Alliances are an important aspect of the Hunger Games, you ensure your survival by having allies watch your back in the arena," Effie started to explain, smiling excitedly.

"Alliances generally break apart near the end of the Games though, so the tributes are not forced to kill each other after." Haymitch added, not looking up from his glass. I study him for a moment, noticing how broken he suddenly looks. It makes me wonder what happened when he was in the arena.

"A common alliance in the Games is the one between the Career Tributes  of Districts 1 and 2.  They work together to take down every other tributes until their alliance is all that remains, and then they rip each other apart, much to the pleasure of the Capitol." Effie continued, I gulped.

A Career Tribute, more commonly known as a Career, is a tribute who trains throughout their life to compete in the games. They attend a special combat academy to be trained by victors until they're 18, when they volunteer. Careers come from the wealthier districts 1 and 2. Being a tribute is seen as a great honor in their districts.

"They're extremely deadly and unpredictable, so you better stay away from them. And with that I mean you avoid them in the arena and before the games included." Haymitch said, first time looking up again to face us. He looks very serious while talking about that subject. "But most of the time, they're extremely arrogant which seals their fate."

We nodded before turning our attention to the large flat screen which an avox turned on. First ahead is, of course, District 1. District 1 is one of the wealthiest districts of Panem. Its primary industry is manufacturing luxury items, such as jewelry, for the Capitol. As a result, District 1 has a generally favorable relationship with the Capitol, though it is still not excused from the annual Hunger Games. I remember when a brother and sister, Gloss and Cashmere from District 1 were the victors two consecutive years when I was little.