Unsteady (Part 2)

Kara awoke with a start, with a choked breath, with a scream trapped behind her closed lips. Her head felt heavy, foggy, and when she tried to sit up she realized her legs were numb and uncooperative. She looked around, narrowing her eyes when the sun lamps blinded her momentarily, and searched for someone familiar. She couldn't see anyone, and the room was dark, which probably meant she'd been out for some time. That wasn't her problem though. Her problem was that she couldn't remember falling asleep, her mind was hazy and she couldn't recall how she had ended up passed out on that hard mattress.

The blonde racked her brain for the faintest reminiscent as she checked herself over. Her suit was gone, replaced by a DEO-labeled t-shirt that she was pretty sure belonged to Alex, and her lower half was covered by one of those blue blankets the DEO kept a stack of in the med bay. Only when Kara moved her hand to lift the blanket did she notice the IV sticking out of her hand, a green-colored needle glowing underneath the tape and tube. Kryptonite.

The world came into focus more and more as the seconds passed. The haziness faded slowly and Kara started getting bits and pieces of her day back. She remembered a robbery and an alien she had to fight, she remembered an uncomfortable ache blossoming into a sharp pain at her lower abdomen when she failed to avoid a punch straight to her stomach, she remembered feeling warm blood trickling down her thigh when she stood to her feet, ready to fly to the DEO. But she hadn't felt that punch, why had she bled? And that uncomfortable ache, had it appeared then or had it been there before the fight, before she'd even put on her suit? Kara didn't know but she knew that it wasn't there at the moment. The only pain she could currently feel was the dull sting of the kryptonite needle and the pressure in her head, a headache perhaps.

But then it hit her. The pain, the blood, the panic, Mon-El's arms, her constant tears. It hit her like another punch to the gut and this time she felt it. This time it hurt. Kara gasped and pushed herself up on shaky arms. She wasn't sure what she was about to do, considering her legs still felt stiff and numb, but she had to do something, she had to find Alex. She'd fly to her if need be.

"Alex!" the blonde called out as she fumbled with her cover.

It didn't take more than a couple of seconds for someone to run straight through the door, as if they'd already been waiting for her call. Kara looked up and released a breath. It was Mon-El. Admittedly, he wasn't the one she'd called for, but perhaps at the moment she actually needed him more.

Kara took a deep breath. "You're okay," she said.

Mon-El brushed a blond strand away from Kara's face and kissed her forehead. "We're all okay," he promised, "all three of us."

Kara shook her head and sniffed. "There was blood," she said with a trembling voice, the fear flooding her anew as she squeezed her eyes shut and tried to listen. She tried to find that quiet little flatter, chasing the memory of it until she could hear it again. When she found it, with her eyes still closed, she started tapping her fingers, mimicking its rhythm. She wasn't sure why she did that, but maybe she was afraid of losing it again, afraid of what that could mean.

"Kara," Mon-El coaxed her to look at him again. He lifted her chin with a finger and held her face in both of his hands. "It's okay, the baby is fine."

"I can hear the heartbeat," Kara smiled dolefully, her eyelids flattering open at last. Her gaze was wet but bright, the blue vivid and absolutely breathtaking. "For a second I thought-" she gulped. "Mon-El, what did I do?"