First kick

Clad in pajama pants and a thin T-shirt, barefoot and with her hair a tangled mess draped over one shoulder, Kara padded to the kitchen. She yawned loudly and rubbed one eye, squinting the other as the brightly lit room blinded her momentarily. She had no idea what time it was and glancing out the window didn't give her a proper answer, the gloomy weather leaving her just as clueless as she'd been half a minute earlier. But she didn't really care, it was Sunday, and that meant she didn't have anywhere to get to, no urgent responsibilities rushing her.

Seeing Mon-El standing in front of the stove, a spatula in one hand and a fork in the other, was a familiar sight to her. She'd woken up only to find him like that one too many mornings, and every time the image pulled a smile from her lips. Although Mon-El's back was turned to her, Kara could almost see the look of concentration on his face, and she knew he was biting his lip as he flipped a pancake and let it fall back down in the pan with a small thud. It was routine, it was their kind of normal, so the blonde did exactly what she'd done every other Sunday morning. She scuffed to her boyfriend quietly, gingerly reaching out and wrapping her arms around his waist, clinging to his back and breathing in his smell.

"Good morning," she mumbled as she kissed above his shoulder blade, another smile creeping up her face when she heard the fork hitting the counter with a clank and Mon-El's now free hand squeezed hers.

"Morning babe," he offered a soft greeting in return, turning around to see Kara and hold her properly. Gazes locked and lips met, gently and noiselessly, as if the moment was only theirs to savor. And when they pulled apart, Mon-El slid a palm to caress the bump between them, large enough now that it almost nudged him due to how close he and Kara were standing.

"What are you making?" Kara asked, though she already knew the answer.

"Pancakes," Mon-El replied simply. "But if you're craving something else I can make it for you," he added.

Kara nodded and pecked his lips once more, thanking him without words. "Bacon?" she suggested, brows raising innocently.

"Sure," Mon-El laughed and turned his attention back to the food.

Kara took a seat on a stool and watched him, sleep still clinging to her limps and softening her senses. She felt movement within her, just subtle nudges and twists of her stomach, and she looked down with sparkling eyes. A hand caressed her belly as she felt butterflies, already in love with the little sunshine she'd recently started to really feel.

"I think someone else wants bacon too, I can feel him dancing in there," the blonde chuckled.

Mon-El turned his head sideways, briefly glancing at Kara, and quirked a brow. "Getting excited at the prospect of food? Wow, I can't tell whom she takes after," he teased in response and didn't miss the roll of his girlfriend's eyes.

It was a game of some sort, a playful argument they'd fallen into. Kara said 'he', Mon-El said 'she', they stuck to their own wishful thinking but didn't bother correcting the other. They couldn't know anyway, no human-made machine could see through Kara's skin so Alex, or any doctor, could predict the baby's gender. And Kara kind of liked the mystery of it, the surprise. She liked passing by the stores and looking at newborn clothing and imagining different people in blue and pink. She didn't really care about the gender, and she knew neither did Mon-El, but there was something charming about listening to him ramble on and on about his little girl and how he was going to teach her everything and show her the world. Kara fell even more in love with him every time he got that dreamy look in his eyes, picturing their daughter, and she didn't want to ruin it for him, even though she still used every chance she got to insist the baby was a boy.