Chapter 12

"Ally and I were planning to spend time at the mall today. It's going to chaotic here later."

"I wish I can go with you but I have some scheduled meetings today."

"Don't worry, the kids will understand. Do you want me to buy some basic stuff for you?"

"Yes I was planning to bring some clothes but I forgot. Can you buy some shave and shaving cream for me?" He took a card in wallet and handed it to me.

He check his time. "I have to go." He hug the kids and give me a kiss before leaving.

........

Ezio called to say that he can't go home for a week because he will be campaigning with Claudia and that set my mood in an a record breaking  low.

"I'm regretting coming back home." I admitted to Ally. "If it wouldn't be unfair to your brother, we already left  town. Were you father this busy during election?"

"Yes but we Ezio and I were young, we use to tag along. You know, boost the morale. Show the people our happy family."

"But we cannot do that."

"I don't know why Ezio still running the election, it wasn't even his dream to be politician, dad us not even pressuring him to follow his footsteps."

"Coz that is what he knows, it was on his plans. If you didn't notice, your brother is trainwreck when he is not right on track to his written scheduled."

"He became like that when you left." Ally admitted to me. "I think it's the fear of setting a plan then just watch  go rye."

"I'm trying my best to give him all my support, but I feel it wasn't enough for him."

"You broke him Kim so I guess you're the only one can fix him." Ally said to me.

........

Meeting Claudia in the supermarket was one proof that my luck is broken.

"Hi you're Kimberly, am I right? Fancy seeing you here. Where are the kids?" She smiled oh so sweetly but I am not buying it.

"They're at home. We run out of milk so yeah." I pointed out the gallon of milk I am holding. Maybe she'll think it is highly perishable and needed to refrigerate immediately so she'll let me go.

"I've been meaning to talk to you, I'm so glad to bump into you. Let's have a cup of coffee." Then she push her trolley.

"Oh my that's a lot of groceries." I commented.

"Oh this, Ezio and I were having a family dinner with our parents to talk about the wedding plans."

Ah no comment...

Why does it feels like this is an ambush?

When we sat in a cafe, she ordered two cups of coffee even when I refused.

"So what is it that you want to talk about?" I ripped off the bandaid, skip all the bullshits and go straight to the point.

"I want to talk about the kids. I know Ezio changed his mind about filing for sole custody."

"That is not your concern Claudia, only me and Ezio. Play the good understanding fiancee and just accept it." I won't be treated like a doormat, if she thought she can step on me, she has another thing coming.

"My oh my it's true... Mistresses nowadays are shameful and act like they're the real wives." She said it so loud, the people in cafe and passerby turn their heads to us.

I stood up and press my hands on the the table coz I have this thrist to punch the lights out of her.

"Oh honey... I am no one's mistress and besides you two weren't even married yet" I smirked. "I'm so glad Ezio changed his mind about the custody... god you're a nightmare stepmother."

I pull out money in my wallet and leave it on the table.

.......

I may have won in the showdown earlier but I don't feel like celebrating.

The word mistress is wracking my brains out.

I thought I can take it. I thought I have thicker skin, when I hear that word I'll just shrugg it off...But I can't.

So when got home, I kiss my kids goodnight and retire to my bedroom early with a bottle of vodka.

Just this once I'm going to let myself wallow in self pity. Just this once I'm gonna drown my sorrows.