Chapter One

Lucas Lallemant was pretty normal. He went to school, got good grades, had aspirations of becoming a doctor, had a good group of friends. Overall, pretty average. Maybe his parents fucked him up a little bit, but hey, everybody has issues. Oh yeah, one more thing, he was staring down the barrel of a gun. He didn't know how the fuck he got involved in this, but it wasn't looking good.

He was walking home after his shift and ok maybe he shouldn't have taken a shortcut down an alley at 11 at night, but he was tired and he just wanted to get home as quickly as possible. He had his headphones in and was listening to The Clash when he heard a loud bang. Fuck. Was that a gunshot? No no don't be stupid Lucas, you're just being paranoid. But then he heard it again. Shit shit shit he thought to himself, breath picking up. What the hell was he supposed to do now? He knew there was rumours of rival gangs around Paris, but he'd never seen them up close. And oh no, why were the voices getting louder. Lucas tried to stay as silent as possible and backed himself up against a wall. As he was shuffling backwards he knocked over a can of beer and visibly cringed at both the loud sound it made and the warm, sticky liquid that was now covering his shoes. Fucking brilliant Lucas thought to himself, praying that nobody had heard. Clearly luck was not on his side because all of a sudden he was yanked away from the wall and pushed to the ground. He looked up and saw a huge guy staring down at him. In Lucas's defence, he was quite small, but seriously? The guy must have been about 7 foot. There was no way in hell he could defend himself against this man. Three more faces came into his vision and Lucas's eyes widened. He was so screwed.
"Who the fuck are you" one of them spat.
"I-I" Lucas stuttered.
"He asked you a fucking question" a blonde one shouted as he kicked Lucas in the side.
Lucas moaned in pain and curled himself into the foetal position.
"You here to spy on us? Did Demaury send you?"
"N-no! No I don't know w-who that is. I s-swear" Lucas whimpered, curling up even more.
"What do we do with him Rocky?" The third one asked, snarling down at the teenager.
"You step away from him" A different voice said. Lucas hadn't heard this one yet. It was smooth, yet it had a dangerous lilt to it.
"Oh look, it's the scum of the East side" the leader said, stepping away from Lucas.
"I believe I gave you an order" the new voice rumbled.

Lucas didn't know why he did it. He didn't know what possessed him to look up from his place of safety. But he uncurled himself slightly and raised his head. When he did, his heart stopped in his chest. His lungs forgot how to work. His hands started to tremble and his eyes widened. He was staring into the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. They were a stormy gray, but looked as if they could have have golden flecks. They were lined by long dark lashes that cast gentle shadows across his skin. Even though they seemed cold and stony, there was a light behind them that made Lucas want to know more. Lucas didn't know that one glance could make somebody feel something so strong and yet terrify him to his core at the same time. His hair flopped over his forehead, looking so wild and unruly as if he permanently run his hands through it in deep thought and concentration. His lips were pulled tight in a line but looked like they hid the most beautiful of smiles. His eyebrows were dark and furrowed, causing a slight frown that made Lucas's stomach flip upside down. Something about this stranger intrigued Lucas and he just knew he had to know more. He was dark, powerful, dangerous. Every instinct inside Lucas told him to run, run and never look back. But Lucas's body wouldn't move. He was in awe of this stranger stood in front of him, and Lucas knew that he would follow him to the end of the earth without a doubt. Oh boy, he was in trouble.