Chapter Eight

A/N - I'm back! Sorry for the huuuuuge break, please don't be too annoyed with me! I've been listening to you all and thank you all so much for the positive comments and support you've given me! It's been a tough few months, but hopefully I'm back for good now! I hope you enjoy this chapter, I'm not too sure how I feel about it, but please let me know! Love you all :) x

Lucas's eyelids fluttered as they tried to adjust to the blinding light shining in through the window. He moaned slightly as his muscles protested at the movement. He could feel a dull, yet pleasant ache spreading through his body as he rolled onto his side. His head was resting on something warm and solid. Lucas snuggled closer into the source of warmth before his brain started to process the movement. His bed didn't feel like this. His bed had scratchy sheets, these sheets were silky and comfortable. And when did his pillow get so hard? Suddenly last nights events flashed before his eyes and he sat up abruptly. Eyes wide open, Lucas panicked as he saw it. Eliott Demaury was in his bed. Well technically he was in Elliott's bed, but still. Oh God. He'd slept with him. The man who tried to kill him, he got in a bed with him. Lucas's brain was running so fast that he didn't even notice Eliott's eyes open and him sit up slowly. It wasn't until Eliott touched his arm that Lucas snapped back to reality. Lucas's eyes met Eliott's concerned ones, and Lucas fell right back into the trap.

"Lucas? Are you ok?"
"N-no y-you shouldn't, I shouldn't be-"
"Hey, hey, shh"
"No. No! What's- I can't-" Lucas was panicking now, he didn't know what was happening. The past few days had been so intense that he'd lost himself along the way. And now he was falling in love with some guy who could potentially kill him or hurt him at least. He was far away from home, but he'd never felt safer and that just confused him even more. His brain was begging him to run away and protect himself, but his heart was anchoring Lucas to the bed and into Eliott's arms.
"Breathe Lucas, please. You're having a panic attack. Breathe with me. In and out. That's it"
Lucas felt like he was a boat in a storm. The waves were swallowing him, 10 feet high and dangerous. But in the distance, there was the lighthouse. The light was guiding him away, away from the storm and suddenly he felt safe.

A few minutes later, Lucas could breathe normally again. He didn't know at what point he ended up in Eliott's lap, held in his arms, but he soon got off and put some distance between the two of them. He looked up and met Eliott's eyes and was shocked to see sadness? Disappointment? Hurt that Lucas had moved away? Lucas was good at reading people, but Eliott was a mystery to him. One moment, it was as if he could read those eyes as easily as a book, other times it was like a wall was up, he had a mask on. The only thing Lucas knew was that he had to solve the enigma that was Eliott. Even if it killed him.

"Are you ok?" The older boy asked gently.
"Yeah, yeah I'm ok. I get like that sometimes, sorry" Lucas apologised.
"No no, don't apologise. You have every right to be worried. It's not every day something like this happens"
"Why are you being so nice to me?" The smaller boy asked, genuine confusion in his voice.
"Isn't it obvious?" Eliott asked, acting as if it was obvious.
"No"
Eliott took a deep breath in and started to speak.
"No matter how much I try to stop it. No matter how much I try to distract myself, all there is you. Since I first saw you getting your ass kicked by those idiots, you changed me Lucas. Every time I close my eyes, I see you. Every time I stop, I think about you. Don't ask me why because I can't tell you. But all I know is that I'm not letting you go, not ever again. Tell me you feel the same, tell me you feel it too"
Lucas saw it then, saw what he hadn't before. The vulnerability. The yearning for attention and love. The effects of heartbreak, abandonment and loss. Everything Lucas saw in his own eyes, he saw in Eliott's. And suddenly Lucas knew. He felt exactly the same and there was no use trying to deny or prevent it anymore.
"I feel it too. I'm falling for you Eliott Demaury and I've tried to resist it. Because I know deep down that I want you, I need you, but we're from different worlds"
"We can work, well make it work" Eliott says, grabbing Lucas's hands and holding them tight.
"But you're you, and I'm me" Lucas whispers, his own insecurity shining through. Despite Eliott's obvious flaws, he was so himself. He was confident, beautiful, witty and brave. What was Lucas? Plain, no real family, nothing to prove he amounted to anything.
"And what exactly does that mean?"
"You're some mafia boss leader. I don't even know what you are. But you're powerful and strong and brave and so beautiful, then there's me. You could have anyone Eliott, I'm just a joke" Lucas rushes out, a tear slipping down his cheek. He was his own saboteur. He had Eliott, willing in front of him, yet his brain was still coming up with excuses.
"But I want you" Eliott whispered, cupping Lucas's cheek.
"I want all of you. Your beautiful eyes, you're floppy hair that makes you look like a hedgehog, your passion. You're the only person who's ever stood up to me Lucas. You're so brave and beautiful too, you just don't see it. But I'll make you, I swear I will. I'll protect you always, even if that means from yourself"
And Lucas didn't feel afraid anymore. He threw himself at Eliott and kissed him. Every emotion, every feeling, every word left unsaid was poured into the kiss. The world melted around them until it was just them. Just Eliott. The way it was meant to be.

A few hours later, Lucas had his head resting on Eliott's chest, tucked into his side. He was tracing patterns on his stomach, happy for the first time in a while.
"What do you do?" Lucas asked, breaking the silence.
"Huh?"
"Like what does your gang do. Do you smuggle drugs and guns, or kill, or what? I still don't actually know what you do"
Eliott chuckled and pulled Lucas further into his side.
"No we don't do any of that. Well we sometimes sell weed, but nothing other than that. And no Lucas, we don't kill people. Well not unless they need to be. I have lots of businesses, clubs, restaurants, stuff like that which keep me busy. I guess I keep watch over this side of Paris, make sure that there aren't any bad people hurting others"
"So you're like a superhero then, like batman" Lucas asked, a smirk playing in his lips.
"Yes Lucas, I'm like batman" Eliott laughed, rolling them over so Lucas was on top of him.
"Why'd you join the gang? Was there like an initiation or did you end up in it because you saw something, like I did?"
Eliott's eyes darkened, pain and distress clouding them.
"Eli, Eli what's wrong? Did I say something?" Lucas asked, worry in his voice.
"No no, I-It just hurts still. It hurts to think about her. About my sister. She always said I liked trouble, said I was a magnet for it even though I tried to avoid it. She never turned me away though, never thought any different of me. Always helped me whenever I needed her"
"She sounds nice, I think I'd like her"
"Yeah, she would have liked you. Always wanted me to settle down"
"Wanted?" Lucas asked, confused.
"She-she was shot. Murdered by a gang on the other side of Paris. Wrong time, wrong place. But I never got to say goodbye. She had so much going for her. She was beautiful, smart, kind. Everybody loved her. I loved her more than anything. Ever since we were little, she was my best friend. And then she was taken from me. By some thugs who thought it was better to shoot first and ask questions later. She died for nothing Lucas, nothing! So I swore to stop them. To stop anyone else feeling that pain, that agony that I felt"
"Eliott, I'm so so sorry, I had no idea" Lucas whispered, a tear dripping down his cheek.
"I don't kill people Lucas. We only resort to that if they're a danger to lots of people. I couldn't do that to the families. I'm not a monster, I couldn't-"
"Shh, I know, I know, it's ok" Lucas pulled Eliott closer to him, wiping the tears off his face.
"I've got you Eli, you're not alone anymore. I'm here now, and I'm not going anywhere"
Eliott cried into Lucas's neck, gripping tight.

Lucas doesn't know how long they stayed there, but he didn't care. All that mattered now was Eliott. They'd broken through the walls and now it was just them. Both broken and hurt in different ways. Maybe that's what drew them together. The fact that the world seemed determined to ruin them and hurt them. But somehow they'd found eachother. Lost souls with nowhere else to turn, searching for something to ground them and remind them what life was about. But this was it. This was what he had been waiting for. This was home, this was safety. And he was never going to let Eliott slip away from him ever again. No matter what happened. No matter what.