the darkness of my past keeps haunting me

Summary: Cheryl's plan to infiltrate the Farm doesn't go as smoothly as she expected, and she finds herself facing old demons she thought were already defeated.

tw: anxiety, depression, ptsd

"Cher, are you sure about this?" Toni asked for the dozenth time

"Positive. I promised cousin Betty I would help her take down the Farm. How many times are you going to ask?" Cheryl answered with a huff as her eyes met Toni's in the reflection of her makeup mirror.

It was the same discussion they had been having ever since Betty approached Cheryl after opening night of Heathers. Evelyn had taken an interest in the redhead during her and Toni's separation, and even though things with her girlfriend were back on track the Farmie had not removed her from her sights.

"You know I'm just worried about you."

Cheryl huffed, "Is that your way of telling me you don't think I can handle it?"

"Babe, no." Toni got up from the bed and walked over to her girlfriend. "Hey, look at me?" Once the redhead had turned to grant Toni her full attention the shorter girl continued, "It's not about that. It's about that place and you know it."

Her concerns were met with a dramatic eye roll as Cheryl turned back to continue her makeup routine. "I was just fine at the cast party. You worry too much, TT."

"You were drunk and surrounded by people you knew wouldn't hurt you. This won't be the same."

She closed her blush compact with a echoing snap, "I appreciate your concern; I truly do. But I managed just fine during our hiatus, and I will manage just fine on my own in there. Plus, Kevin will be there."

"I don't trust his judgment when it comes to the Farm, so I'm not trusting him with the most important thing in my life when it comes to that place either."

-

Two days later the conversation came up again. The school day would be starting in less than an hour, after which Cheryl would be going back to the Farm much to Toni's discomfort. She trust the Farm, and when it came to her girlfriend she didn't trust Betty either. She knew the blonde had good intentions and truly needed Cheryl's help, but she wished there was another way, one that didn't involve her girlfriend attempting to infiltrate a cut alone. The pinkette knew how emotionally vulnerable Cheryl was, particularly after the sisters. Too many nights had been spent with the redhead curled up into her arms, sobbing for hours, while she did her best to coach Cheryl through her nightmares.

Toni was sitting on the edge of their bed, putting on her shoes. She looked across the room to her girlfriend, "So you're really going back again?"

"But of course, TT. One meeting will hardly take down the Farm," Cheryl explained as she collected her finished homework from the previous night. "I have my second interview after school today."