Chapter 1 - Beginnings

Today was the day. Lilia was going to Middle-Earth to help destroy evil. Gandalf had trained her physically, in the ways of her touch-telepathathy, and her shifting abilities. Right now Lilia was headed toward the woods where she was to meet Gandalf. They were supposed to create a portal to Middle-Earth to get there. Why they could not just teleport there she would never know.

"Hello Lilia.'' Lilia would know that voice anywhere, Gandalf.

Lilia smiled and turned around, just as she thought. He was standing there with his grey cloak and hat, twinkling eyes, full beard and staff smiling at the shapeshifter.

"Hello Gandalf," Lilia grinned.

"It's time, Lilia. We must head off if we are to attend the meeting on time."

"Of course Gandalf. But one question."

"What is it?" He asked, getting into place to create the portal.

"What year is it in Middle-Earth?" Lilia already knew, or at least, had theories. But she just want to make sure.

"Oh well, I think you'll figure it out quite soon," Gandalf waved off the question.

Lilia rolled her eyes at Gandalf's antics. Gandalf then started chanting in an ancient language. Old, and unknown, and it sent shivers down Lilia's spine. A bright light sprung forth from the ground, surrounding the two.

"Whatever you do, don't open your eyes until you feel the ground beneath you! Got it?" Gandalf shouted over the howling wind that came with the light.

Lilia nodded and closed her eyes, knowing perfectly well that Gandalf couldn't see her. A twisting lurched her stomach and Lilia felt something sucking her towards something else. It was like a vacuum, in a way. Seconds passed and the feeling did too, and she felt her feet touch something hard. Lilia didn't open her eyes but she could hear everything. The wind blowing in the breeze. The sound of birds chirping nearby. She could hear everything. Including Gandalf landing next to her. Sound's like he fell on his arse. Lilia hid her laughter by looking away and pretending she didn't see anything. Not that she did at any rate.

"You can open your eyes now," Gandalf mumbled, getting off the ground.

Opening her eyes Lilia gaped. There were green hills everywhere. Butterflies fluttering around and landing on flowers. Bees collecting nectar and birds flying chirping happily. The sun was showing that it was getting close to sunset. But even though it was getting late, the animals didn't seem to care.

"This place is amazing!" Lilia exclaimed looking around.

Behind Lilia was a forest and mountains. Many, mountains in fact. Lilia had known Middle-Earth was beautiful but not this beautiful! The books and movies had never quite captured the beauty of the wonderland surrounding her. But it sure came close to the real deal.

"You shall be going on the quest to reclaim a homeland known as Erebor," Gandalf said, now walking in a random direction. East, Lilia suspected.

Lilia followed him, trusting he knew where he was going.

As if reading her mind, though he probably was, Gandalf said, "We are going to Hobbiton. To Bilbo Baggins' house to be exact. We should be there just after nightfall."

That's a lot of walking, but nothing Lilia couldn't handle. Only a few hours, two and a half tops. Well by her estimate that is. Then again, she had no idea where they were. But Gandalf said after nightfall then she could only guess the walk would take a couple of hours.

"Oh, and Vanáezae?" Gandalf said, "The company should not know of your powers. Only use them if it is needed."

Lilia nodded, "And my name?"