Prologue

Nikolai above.

Nikolai POV

I stared at my wife wishing I could go up to her and kiss her. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid my eyes on and the only woman in my life I was ever attracted to enough to not just fuck and leave. As if I could even. Instead I got to know her and after our first encounter I was hooked. Four months later I asked her to marry me and she looked at me as if I was crazy then told me no. Two years later I asked again and she said no again. Three years later I asked again and she said yes. Then finally, after seven years we got married at the courthouse. Five years later we welcomed our twin girls Nyla and Nell. Four years after that we had our third daughter Elizabeth, and six years after that we had our son Neil.  Our baby boy was two and half and I call him lucky because we were done but after celebrating our 20th anniversary he popped up.

I cleared my throat and she looked up from her documents. She raised an eyebrow asking me nonverbally what did I want.

"I came to see if you wanted to join me for lunch to talk about the family vacation this year."

She narrowed her eyes, "That can be done over the phone later. You didn't drive across town to talk about a family vacation or to ask me to lunch so what do you want Nikolai?"

I swallowed and stepped forward.

"I didn't say you could come in," she responded coolly.

"May I come in and close your doors?" I asked sweetly.

"No but as you won't leave until you do make it quick."

I stepped in shutting the doors.

"I won't sign the divorce papers until we attend counseling."

"I'm not going to counseling because I don't need it."

"I'm not signing the papers and I will show up to every court hearing until you drop them."

"Nikolai, I want you to do everything you feel you need to. But I will not drop the papers as you so arrogantly think I will nor will I give into the charm you're trying to allude."

I crossed the room and stood in front of her desk.

"Why are you so willing to throw away 20 years of love for one mistake?"

"The same reason you decided too."