Chapter 4

Elizabeth above.

Elaina POV

I sat on the couch undoing Beth's hair while Lucky danced along to the theme song of PJ Mask.

"What do you want to do today?" I asked her.

"We can go to the market...... and make some pies....... and dinner!" She said excitedly.

                 *************************

At the farmers market we walked around picking out fresh fruits, vegetables, and flowers.

"Smell this one," I said picking up a posie.

"Mmmmmmm, I like that." She said expertly putting together a bouquet.

"Elaina?"

I turned to the direction of the voice giving a polite smile.

"You don't recognize me....." he said.

I stared at him for a few seconds.
Oh my god........
It was Brent Fisher.

"I didn't recognize you at first. How have you been?" I asked as we hugged.

"Good. I see life has been good to you as it should." He said looking at my kids.

"Yeah. This is my daughter Elizabeth and my baby boy Neil."

They said shy hellos.

"I would love to catch up over a cup of coffee..... Is iced vanilla extra sweet more milk than coffee still your favorite?

I laughed, "It is."

"We can go to the park, so the kids can come."

"Alright," I agreed.

We exchanged numbers and went our separate ways.

                 ************************

Nikolai POV

"Pumpkin! This pie is delicious! Tell me what the secret ingredient is." I said smiling at Beth.

She giggled, "I can't tell you my secret."

"Please," I said frowning.

"No I can't," she said before mouthing later.

"Very well! If you won't tell me then I will sing your special song and smother you with kisses before bed."

She laughed.

"Me too!" Lucky said clapping.

"You too buddy." I assured him.

Later that night.

"Daddy, do you know Brent Fisher?" Beth asked after I kissed her forehead.

I froze. "What did you say pumpkin?"

"Do you know Brent Fisher?"

I stared at her, "Yes. He was a college friend."

"Momma seen him today and they are going to get coffee." She said smiling before she yawned.

Flashback to 20 years ago.

I scanned the library for an average height Hispanic girl.

"Hey Nik," she said seductively appearing in front of me.

I smiled down at her as we went to the back.

After I washed my dick and hands off I went back to the library for my tutoring session with my new tutor.

Leo said she was an uptight nerd and I wouldn't want to fuck her so she was perfect to help me.

When I walked in again I asked the librarian for the chemistry tutor and she pointed me in the right direction.

Walking over to her I watched her for a second. Her scent was inviting. It was like a warm day encased in roses. Her skin was a smooth caramel color and her dark hair was pulled into a bun.

"You must be Elaina?" I asked taking a seat.

She looked up and my heart skipped a beat.

"Yes sir. It's nice to meet you Mr. Ripley." She said with a smile.

She was definitely younger than I was and was making sure I knew it.

"You don't have to call me sir. I'm sure I'm not that much older than you." I said with my signature smile.

"Oh I apologize. I wasn't trying to make you uncomfortable. It was something called manners I was taught. Shall we get started?"

The rest of the session was professional and crisp. This woman did not like me, even a little. No matter how charming I tried to be.

When we were finishing up I tried to find something to say.

"Thank you." I said lamely.

"Don't mention it." She said.

"Hey baby," a green eyed black dude said as he came up.

"Hey, what do you want to eat tonight?" She said after they kissed.

"Whatever you make is fine. I love everything you cook." He said with a smile.

"Hey man, I'm Nik." I said extending my hand.

"Hey." He said shaking it.

"Let's go Fisher." She said and they left.

End of flashback.

I went into my office and looked him up. He was a Doctor at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital. He was divorced and had no kids. He was still a handsome guy and he once knew my wife very well.

                       *********************
Elaina POV

It was a rare day when the house was empty.

My mind wandered to my husband as it often did and my heart constricted in pain.

How was I supposed to forgive him?
But.....
How was I supposed to leave him?

This man who has known me for the last twenty years.
This man who has stood by me when times were light  and went things went dark. I didn't have any one to talk to because they would all tell me to leave him.

He cheated?

Unforgivable!
Condemn him to hell!!
Burn him at the stake!!!

But what they didn't understand was this man, this wonderful, beautiful, kind, man was my best friend, lover, protector, and father to my children.

He was there when my parents died. He was there when my brother died. He was there when I lost the only family I had. He was there when I wanted nothing but to sit in the dark and cry. He was there when I wanted to die. He was there in my darkest time.

I could never let him go that easily.

"E?"

I looked up to see the saddest smile grace his face.

"We should talk......."