Chapter 6

Elaina POV

I sat in the lobby waiting for news.

"Mrs. Ripley you can see him now."

I tried to be calm but as soon as I saw him laid up in the hospital bed the tears flowed.

"Don't cry, look at me I'm fine." He said too weak to do anything but rest his hand on my back in comfort. I cried harder.

"Why did you do it!" I asked mad as hell he would do something so stupid.

"When the call came through we all answered it. While we were getting information she heard a little girl screaming. She rushed in and her meters started going crazy. After saving the little girl she started asking where was her sisters. By this time Heather was showing symptoms of gas poisoning. She collapsed when she went into the building again. I had to go find her."

*********************
"They're watching a movie with Astor. They will be fine until he gets out. Don't worry Elaina, just take good care of my baby. I can't wait until he retires." Mary commented.

"You and me both." I responded.

"I wasn't going to ask..... but Beth said you were pregnant. Is it true?"

I choked on my spit. "No ma'am I am not. She mentioned she would like another sibling, but no. No surprise here."

She laughed, "Ok honey. Call me tomorrow. I love you and kiss my baby for me. Good night." She hung up.

"My Mom?" He asked.

"Yeah." I said as I snuggled closer to him.

He was sleep a few minutes later from the pain killers.

I looked out into the dim room. I didn't know how to process the feelings I felt.

When I got the call that he had been hurt I had to get on all fours and breathe. My world got dizzy and black spots appeared. My throat constricted and my heart stopped. It felt as if I was literally going to die in the bathroom of my job.

Then I thought maybe I didn't want a divorce. If I reacted that way, did I really want to be without my best friend? Could I really put my kids through that? Especially, Luck? All of these questions were something I didn't want answered because in the end it was simply unfair to all of us.

I couldn't sleep because of the things that weighed heavily on my mind. Standing in front of the vending machine I was stuck between a Twix and a Snickers.

"I want fruit snacks!" A little voice said behind me.

"Ok, wait your turn." An older voice scolded.

I bought the fruit snacks. Turning around I was surprised to see two of Heather's daughters.

"Thank you Miss Elaina," Grace said with a toothless grin.

"You're welcome sweetie." I said smiling back.

"Is Mr. Nik okay?" Harper asked as we walked toward the rooms.

"Yes he's fine. How is your Mother?"

She leaned down and told Grace something that her running down the hall.

"I don't think she is doing that good. Our Dad is here and he is trying to find somewhere for us to go."

"What do you mean?"

"He doesn't want us. He made that clear when he left four years ago."

My heart broke for them. No child should know that type of hurt.

"Where is he?" I asked ready to hand him a new perspective.

In the waiting area Grace sat on his lap talking a mile a minute. I forgot how handsome he was. Hanna sat next to them with her head on his shoulder.

He gave me a small smile when our eyes met.

"Hey Elaina, you're still as beautiful as ever."

"Thank you, you're not looking bad yourself."
He was also still very much a flirt.

"Go ahead and tell me. I'm sure my oldest has already gave her little spiel on why I'm the worst father in history."

"What's going on?" I asked not wanting to judge a situation I knew nothing about.

"Heather refuses to let me see them. She has a restraining order against me and I've been to jail countless times behind it. Something happened between us that she won't tell me, but she hates me for it. The shitty thing is she is making the girls suffer because of it."

"I'm sorry Matt. You know Rhea is a lawyer she could help you out."

After the exchange of information, I wished him the best.

************************
Two weeks later.

I watched him pack for our annual couples retreat.

"I know the Doctors cleared you, but do you think it's a good idea to go on the trip?"

"I feel great. If I didn't think I could handle it I would sit it out, but I'm fine E."

"The second you're not you better not keep quiet."

"I promise I will let you know that very moment."

I left him alone and went to the kitchen just as the doorbell rang.

"Uncle Florian is here!" Beth sung as she came flying down the stairs.

Peeking through the window confirming it was him she swung open the door and jumped on him.

"How is my favorite buttercup?" He asked in his heavily accented voice.

She beamed at him while filling him in on her life since she last saw him.

We hugged and greeted each other quickly before he disappeared upstairs as Beth drug him away.

"I take it Prince Charming is here?" Nikolai asked with an eye roll.

"Yes which is our queue to head out."

We finished packing and put our things in the car.

Then started to say our goodbyes to our children who in the presence of Uncle Florian could have cared less.

"Luck, won't you miss me?" Nikolai pouted as he strapped him in his car seat.

"No!" He said smiling.

"I will miss you. I will miss you so much."

Lucky just smiled.

"Bye baby. Momma loves you," I told him with a kiss.

"Love you Mommy."

We hugged our girls and Beth skipped happily into the car.

"We should skip their turn to stay back," Nikolai muttered annoyed as he got in the car.

Sooooooooooo excited for the next chapter 😇😇😇