10

"Like hell, Connor!" I snapped over the phone. "I'm flat out affording where I live, with my own bills. You don't support me or Willow so why would I lend you a hundred dollars?" I growled down the phone.

"Harper, I need it to help move."

"That's another thing. Why would I encourage you to move away from your daughter?" I had locked myself in the bedroom, away from Willow so she couldn't hear me.

"Because I don't like it here and it gets me further away from you." He snapped back and I gasped, taking the air in to my lungs sharply.

"Nope, sorry." I croaked out. "I'm not helping you destroy your relationship with Willow."

"You're a bitch, you know that, hey?"

I held back the tears that were threatening to let lose. "Yeah, oh well." I whispered. "I'm not giving you any more money, Connor. You have your own money."

"Why should I spend mine when you will eventually give me some more?"

"You know what Connor? F-f-f-"

Connor laughed through the phone. "Yeah, whatever. Your pathetic."

The phone went dead. Oh fudge nuggets. Connor knows I don't like swear words and I won't cuss the nasty ones out. But I really wanted to tell him that big nasty f word.

I took deep breathes and rubbed at my eyes. He is always like this. He is so smooth and caring and I take him back, then after a while, a month or year or whatever, he breaks things off and then the nasty side comes out in him. Then he cools down, then back to loving again.

It's a bad habit, it really is but I love him, I think.

Sitting on my bed, I try to talk some sense in me. Why do I love him? He is a horrible father. He is disinterested in his own daughter. He doesn't care for either of us.

The tears continued freely and I knew they wouldn't stop anytime soon. Maybe it's for the best. I don't need him, do I?

My alarm went off, letting me know it was time to get ready for work. I went to my cupboard, pulling out a fresh set of black slacks and a light blue button up shirt.

My phone started vibrating on the bedside table and I answered it heavy hearted, seeing Connors name on the screen.

"What?" I groaned out.

"I want Willow for Easter."

I paused in my actions, confused. "Huh? You barely acknowledge her, now you are demanding for her?"

"I am still going camping and I want Willow to come."

I felt the alarm bells ringing in my head. "In the usual spot?"

"Yes, Harper."

"With the usual people?"

"Yes, Mike, Laurie, Ashton, Stella, their kids." He sighed. "I want Willow to come too."

"I'll get back to you." I told him, hanging up before he could say anything else and pulling up my messages to text Stella.

I quickly messaged her and went for a shower, telling Willow to get her stuff ready.

Stella got back to me nearly instantly, stating that she was going with the kids. So I rang her as soon as I got dressed. I didn't bother with my hair, I could do it later and I slipped my shoes on, waiting at the front door for Willow.

I had my earphones plugged in, knowing I will be driving while talking and closed the door behind Willow.

"Hey, girl!" Stella chipped out.