15

I felt slightly embarrassed. the words wouldn't spit out. Not the way I wanted them to.

Ryan chuckled, making me look away, blushing. I'm nearly thirty years old, why am I blushing? I feel like a teenager being caught checking someone out. Well, I was kinda, checking Ryan out.

I couldn't help it. He was there, nearly naked. I couldn't not waste the opportunity. The muscles, not over buldging but visible, how each on curved.

"I don't have jumper leads. Besides, my car is electronic. Isn't yours?"

"Oh, yeah, but she won't start." I muttered looking away still.

"Yeah, I ain't jump starting electronic cars, Harper. I can give you a lift home if you want? But tomorrow being Sunday, I doubt there would be any mechanics open."

Plus it was also the Easter weekend, I thought to myself. My mood had suddenly dampened.

I wanted to stamp my foot and curse the naughty f bomb, but instead, I took a deep breathe and screamed my usual line in my head. "Please. I would like a lift home."

Ryan turned around to go to his room, to put clothes on, I assume since its cold out there.

I waited patiently, leaning against the wall, going through the photos that Willow sent me.

"Alright, let's go." Ryan chipped as he went past me. I froze, his deodorant making its way to my nose, assaulting my senses.

Oh god. He smells so good. I locked my phone and dropped it in to my bag, following Ryan. "Thanks, Ryan. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry for being a pain."

Ryan sighed, turning to me and making me stop walking. "Harper. Stop saying thank you and I'm sorry." He told me gently. "You aren't being a pain. I don't mind helping you."

I nodded, biting my lip. "I know. I'm -" Ryan's look on his face made me shut my jaw. "Right."

We walked in the darkness to the car as I heard it unlock before opening the door.

"Have you been having troubles with your car lately?"

I shook my head. "No, it started earlier today, just. Now this. So it might still be there Tuesday."

I did up the seat belt while Ryan answered. "That's no dramas. I don't mind. How are you finding the quietness?" I knew exactly what he meant.

"It's so silent. It's like sometimes I hear her giggle but I know she isn't really at home. I miss her. She is having a great time though, so I'm happy for her." I sighed out then. "He is actually trying and I'm so surprised. Connor is making an effort on being a father and I don't know why. It's suspicious to me."

I looked out the window as we went to my place. Everything was dark, a streetlight here and there. The neighbourhood inside their homes and it was eerie. Maybe because I can hear the silence better right now because Willow isn't with me.

"Why is it suspicious?" Ryan asked. "Isn't that what you wanted? For Willow to have a relationship with her father?"

I frowned. "Yeah it is, but I never expected him to actually make an effort. Everytime I tell him anything that impacts him, he shrugs it off and has his infamous saying, stop harping, Harper. Don't harp, Harper." I mimicked Connor. "I hate it."

"Maybe he is seeing reason?"

I peeked over at Ryan. It was a bit hard to see him clearly except under the streetlights we pass.

"Maybe. But in a way, I don't want Willow to take after her father. He is... selfish. He always has been and it's been a long time coming for me to see that." Ryan listened while I complained about Connor.