× Scout // Baseball

Prompt: You and Scout are teaching your twins to play baseball.

(OG Published: 4/19/19)

Requested by: none

Edited: 1/15/23

I squat down and look at Jeremy, our daughter tapping the ground similar to how he does with her feet. She raises the plastic bat in her hands and bites her tongue. She nods, ready to try to swing. 

I watch as Jeremy tosses the ball lightly to get my little girl to hit it, but she misses just barely.

"Here," I kneel next to Chelsea and get a light hold on the bat, "focus on where the ball goes, then see when to hit it, like this." I toss my fiance the ball and go back to helping our daughter, swinging the bat perfectly.

Our son jogs over to where the ball landed, picking it up in his big glove. Excitedly, he hurries over to the group again, handing it to Jeremy.

"My turn, Pop!" Chase takes the bat from his twin sister and they switch places. Chelsea puts on their shared glove while he gets ready to hit the ball. Jeremy tosses the ball and Chase just barely misses.

"Put ya legs facin' t'is way," Jeremy walks over and repositions his son. "Dominant hand ov'a t'e oth'a, t'ere ya go!" He pats Chase's head, "now try again."

Jeremy jogs to get the ball and then tosses it to our son, Chase ending up hitting straight and far.

We all cheer and laugh while Jer gets the ball again while the twin's stomachs grow in unison. 

"Hungry, Babes?" I question, standing up straight and they rush to my legs, Chelsea hugging my left. Chase hugs my right and they both look up at me, their big heterochromia eyes on me.

"Can we get ice cream?" I look up at my fiance, his taller figure blocking the sun from my eyes. 

"You gotta ask Dad." I smile, knowing Jeremy can't say no to the twins like I can.

"Pop!"  "Pa!" 

"We want ice cream!" They say in unison, now rushing to hug at his legs.

Looking at the three of them and crossing my arms, my heart flutters against my chest.

This is my family. And I wouldn't trade them for the world.

"Yeah, let's go, Kiddos. Who wants on my shoulders?" He kneels down and they giggle, Chelsea climbing onto his shoulder. Chase pouts for a second, having lost their game of rock, paper, scissors.

"Hey, I have shoulders, too." I fake a sad look, "does nobody like riding on my shoulders? I guess I'll have to go home," I sigh and look up to pretend I can't see Chase at my knees. "With no ice cream." I peer down to the boy twin and bite my lip. 

"No, Ma! I'll take you! You get ice cream too!" He tugs at my jeans and I look down. 

"Oh yeah?" I kneel down and put my hands on my knees. "I don't think I deserve ice cream." 

"Yeah. You're Mama. Mama's always deserve nice things!" He puts his tiny hands on top of mine and my heart gushes at his kind words.

"Alright, come on, Squirt." I pick him up and set him on my shoulders, walking up to Jeremy and Chelsea.

"What ice cream are you getting?" I walk side by side with Jeremy, the twins going back and forth about the ice cream they want. I smile, looking up at my partner, seeing his pale blue eyes in mine already.  

"What?" I laugh a little, not expecting him to be just looking at me. 

"Nothin'. You're just beautiful." He holds Chelsea by one leg, his other arm lowering to hold my hand as we walk. I smile and shake my head, copying his actions. 

This one was short, hope you liked it!