thirteen ; didn't have to

The shadow wasn't coming any closer, making her heart pound in her chest erratically

The shadow wasn't coming any closer, making her heart pound in her chest erratically. She swallowed, tears streaming down her face faster as she managed to grin. Stiles was coming back to her.

"Come on, Stiles!" Harper urged, realising that he was struggling to get through the rift. "Sti, I can see you. Please, Stiles. You can do it!"

Her smile faltered as the bright light slowly began to dim, leaving nothing in return. No Stiles. Harper whispered his name, all of her energy leaving right there and then. Lydia placed a hand on her shoulder from behind her, making her whirl around.

"What happened?" She asked the genius quickly, "why didn't he come back?"

Lydia shook her head sympathetically, "we didn't see anybody, Harper."

"He was there," the English girl refused to believe them, "I saw Stiles. Stiles was right there and he saw me too."

Isaac and Malia held onto Harper's arms as they began to gently guide her back to the bunker, away from the tunnel that she couldn't stop staring into. She realised that she seemed somewhat insane, but she didn't care. Stiles had been right there, she had felt him and seen him.

Scott moved to shut the door when a hand blocked it, making him jump. "Liam!" He gasped as the beta slipped inside. "You're still here."

"There's something you need to see," Liam urged them all. "And everyone else is gone. All of them, they're all gone. Look, you have to come with me."

"What is it?" Isaac asked.

"I can't explain it, I have to show you," Liam began to back up, "come on."

Scott nodded, "Isaac, come with me. You three stay here, just in case."

"In case Stiles comes back?" Malia questioned doubtfully, causing Harper to blink from where she was watching the ground, somewhat motionless.

"If there's any hope, you need to keep trying," Scott reminded them, hesitantly looking over to the shortest girl. "Harper, don't give up on him or yourself."

She lifted her chin high, soaking up his words with a nod. "Never."

As soon as the two werewolves had left with Liam, Harper moved to the back door and opened it, Malia right behind her. They smirked slightly at each other, knowing full well they weren't going to just wait around while the boys did all of the hard work.

"What are you two doing?" Lydia murmured, "Scott told us to stay here in case Stiles comes back."

"He's not going to come back here," Harper shook her head, "Stiles has never been here in his life."

Malia nodded, "if he was, he would of, and he hasn't, so he's not. Harper knows that she saw him, she knows that Stiles is out there. So what are we doing standing here?"