twenty-three; one step behind

( season six b ! )

( season six b ! )

one step behind.

Harper was snuggled up against her sleeping bag  where she sat with her back against one of the walls of the animal clinic, Liam beside her. They crowded around the iPad that Lydia had let them borrow, both their eyebrows pulled down as they watched a film.

"What are you watching?"

They both glanced up, Liam tapping the screen so it paused. Theo loomed over them, his arms folded across his chest and a judgemental look on his face. Harper realised he must be pretty bored here too, seeing as nobody was fond of him.

"The Goonies," Harper replied, partly showing him the screen. "You... You wanna watch it with us?" She hesitated to ask, sensing the boy didn't want to ask himself.

"Harps," Liam whined.

Seeing how much the brunette's offer had pissed Liam off, Theo nodded with a smug smile, his arms dropping to his sides as he took a seat on the other side of Harper who rested the iPad on her legs.

"As a matter of fact, Harper, I would love to," Theo unpaused the film for them, satisfaction filling his body when he saw how much it irked Liam.

Minutes later, while they were getting to the part where the kids discovered the pirate ship, Harper heard her name being called from across the room. She glanced up, meeting the eyes of Deaton.

"Be right back, guys," she huffed, handing the iPad to Liam who reluctantly shifted the screen so that Theo could see clearer.

She did a small jog over to the dark-skinned man who was hunched over a counter, about a dozen books surrounding him. She shot him a small smile which he returned.

"I see you're feeling better?" He acknowledged, "no longer shaking or sweating."

"It's gonna sound cheesy, but the more I'm surrounded by these guys... the better I feel," she gestured around the room to where all her friends were sitting around talking. "It's like all of the fear from the rest of the town is an absent thought."

"That's good," Deaton nodded, "I've been reading more. Trying to figure out what the dream meant, why you woke up with the bruises."

Harper raised her brows, leaning against the counter. "Find anything good, doc?"

"Perhaps good isn't the correct word for it," the all-knowing man spoke, "the dreams you and Lydia were having almost a year ago were because of Allison. I found a story, dated back three-hundred-years ago. About a Banshee and an Empath who were in love."

"Oh," Harper awkwardly rubbed her shoulder, wondering where this was going.

"The Banshee and the Empath had a son. When the son died, he appeared in the dreams, which were exactly the same," Deaton explained, "now, this is where I struggle a little. Do you happen to know Latin, Harper? I'm not too fluent."