Endurance Test (Part II)

Beam's POV

A humming tears me from my dreams
I'm blinking. It's Forth's cell phone flashing and vibrating on the bedside table.

Who the hell is calling now?

Forth gently pulls away from me and reaches for the phone. But instead of accepting the call, he leaves to the bathroom. I hear the toilet flush and the water noise from the sink, but then he does not come back.

I pull myself together, try to shake off the fatigue, and get up.
Is he talking secretly? Should I not hear the conversation?
My stomach contracts. What if there are others?

Quietly, I open the door to the bathroom and peek into it. It is empty, only the violet light is burning. My clothes are still on the floor in front of the tub. I pick them up and press them against my chest.
Forth can only have left the room through the other door where the study is located.

I hear him talking, but I do not understand a word. Aha, he's on the phone! My heart cramped. At the same time, I scolded myself for my jealousy. Maybe he just did not want to wake me up.
Like the last time, I open the door, as quiet as I can. Only a small gap. The room is in the dark. Forth sits back at the desk in front of the laptop with his back to me. This time I can see the screen. It shows a map with a plan from here. I recognize the river and the highway towards the next town. I have also googled this section to find the Master's house. In the forest area moves a small blinking point.

"He seems to drive back to his ritual place." Forth says in his cell phone, which is next to the laptop and is set to loud. "You really do not have to come, Lam, stay home. I can handle this alone."
He taps on the laptop, and new photos appear, this time shots of a flat. The quality is poor, many images are out of focus as if they were photographed from afar. They show a black-haired man in a suit and three naked men.

What are they doing there? And who was the guy? From behind he almost looked like Forth.

"I'm feeling guilty." Lam says on the phone. "Shall I really not replace you?"

"No!"

"You just pretend that you do not want me with you." The man on the other end makes an indignant impression. There is a short break because Forth answers nothing.

"Why are so quiet?" Lam asks. "What's going on, Forth? Something is wrong with you."

I breathe a sigh of relief. His name really is Forth. But then he can not be this estate agent Darvid Kreepolrerk.

Sighing Forth combs through his hair. "I screwed up."

"What happened?" His friend sounds alarmed.

"I do not know where to start, but ... I have a guy in my bed."

"Congratulations, dude! That's great!"

So, I am crap? I would like to tell my opinion to Forth now! But I hold myself back. Let's see what else he is saying. Angry, I get dressed as quietly as possible.

"It was time, too." Lam says. "And you took him to the villa?"

"Yes, damn it."

"I will not tell anyone. Promise." This Lam suddenly sounds totally pleased. "Is it serious?"

Forth shrugs. "I do not think so."

A new sting bores into my heart. I was so sure that Forth felt more for me than sheer lust.

"Why not?" Lam lashes out.

"I ... do not know." Forth says softly, resting his head on both hands. "I screwed up big time ... I should never have brought him here. He is a journalist and has been snooping around. That's how I met him." Forth gets up and walks across the room.