Leave Behind

m i l l i e

      As if it wasn't already hard for me to breathe due to Finn's sudden public display of affection, now I'm just learning that one of his friends knows 'a lot' about me- whatever that means.

"Should I be worried about that?" I query, my heart racing at a pace that I'm sure would make record time in a race.

The wild, curly haired teenager smirks slightly, glancing to the boy beside him as he shrugs nonchalantly.

"Oh- right, no it's just kinda stories and shit. Drunk talk, really. I wouldn't worry." The boy assures, still having yet to introduce himself since I sat down.

"Okay, and um- your name is?" I ask awkwardly, feeling completely uncomfortable on this strange situation Finn has brought me into.

All I wanted was a damn book.

His face reveals his internal facepalm as he shakes his head, finally offering his hand as he introduces his name.

"Sorry, it's Josh. Josh Ovalle. Finn and I have known each other since middle school." He explains as I take his hand in mine, shaking it gently as he gestures his head over to the perfect embodiment of a being.

I nod curiously, turning my head to Finn as I bring my hand comfortably back to my lap.

"Guess you could say we go way back, huh, Joshie?" The dark eyed boy remarks through a snicker, his fingers grazing over his lips as he grins slyly.

"Mhm, believe it or not, I'm the one who actually told him to do something to make you hate him at the end of your little deal. How ironic that you did the exact opposite, huh?" The sunburned boy muses, lightly laughing to himself as Finn only shakes his head.

He's the reason? Him?

My smile suddenly falters at the new information, my forming impression of the older teen startlingly shifting to the negative side of the spectrum.

"Yeah, ironic." I manage to utter, still letting his confession sink in as my stomach seems to agree with the unsettling feeling brewing in my chest, becoming equally unhappy.

"You alright, Brit? You're looking a little more nerves than usual, something up?" He questions suddenly, his face still showing that sarcastically calm aura that is shared with Josh.

I blink to wash away any anxiety from my eyes, instead simply pressing my lips together in affirmation.

"I'm good, just realized I've probably been here a bit long for 'checking out a book'. So um- yeah, I better go." I insist, scrambling to my feet as I grab my pass from the table and push in the chair back into its rightful place at the table.

"So rebellious of you, Brit. Staying a few more minutes than promised? Some of your best work, I must say." Finn teases through a low and lazy tone, one I've come to know quite well.

"Only the best for you, dear." I remark sarcastically through a playful glare, putting on a facade to hide the panic dwelling within me.

I notice a twitch of a smile cross his lips as the boy beside him practically cackles at our back and forth, somehow finding it insanely amusing.