60• Broken Glass

" Oh. I must of mistaken you for someone else then." But though his words say one thing, his eyes say another. A distrust, no, an uncertainty. That's what lays in his eyes.

" For who?"

His face falls, as he turns away. Silence grew, with I unknowing what to say. But that feeling remained, the curiosity for more of what he had to say.

"An old friend." He looks to his palms, his fingers curling into fists. The obvious pain it caused him to speak is overbearing, as if I feel it myself. The shallowness in his voice, and the strain in his eyes feels real to me, on a level that I simply can't explain.

" Her name was Mia. Mia Solera."

And then the pain he had felt became real, as a strain wrenched it's way into my mind and the light that I had wished to see, faded into a dark sea of nothingness.

—-

" Hanna?"

A soft voice spoke, the sweet and gentle sound brushing through my ears. Though my eyes are shut, I can feel a warmth on my arm. A hand, gently stroking up and down.

" How are you feeling?" Zeke places a hand on my cheek, an unease in his touch. I open my eyes, the light, though me only what feels to be moments ago would love, now hurts my eyes. The glare of the sun shining through my window, and bringing forth its golden tones to the cobbled floor.

" Fine? What happened? Why am I in my room?" I try to sit up, but Zeke holds me down. His grip tightening around my wrist.

" You should rest. You hit your head pretty hard."

Though confused, I comply. I don't recall hitting my head, but then again, that would make sense.

"How did I hit my head, Zeke?" He gets off my bed, slowly walking to my opened door. Gesturing to my wardrobe, he points to one of the cupboards.

" It was open and you slipped and hit your head. I'll be going now, no training tonight." He leaves my room, closing the door behind him. The soft cracking noise meaning he had locked it.

But, I can't pay attention to that. Something else lingers in my mind, and I can't keep it down.

" I lost the key for that cupboard door months ago.."

I get up, my head that should be aching, failing too. I try to pull open the cupboard, but just as I thought, it's jammed shut. My mind swirls, confusion filling it on why he'd lie, more so on why I still couldn't remember anything from last night.

Perhaps I'm thinking too far into it, maybe I had hit my head. But, my eyes can't seem to fall away from the cupboard door, and how I knew there was no way it could have been opened.

I look to my window, my fingers trailing across the wooden lining and the murky glass. Today, I saw the light. I saw how the trees swayed in the heavy wind, and how the green leaves couldn't stay put.

I haven't seen this before, and yet, I'm not utterly awestruck like I thought I'd be. It's as if I've seen it before, many, many, times before.

The sun began to set, falling over the many homes in the horizon. The orange glow shining a different light on the grass, and the white bricking that most houses possessed.