Chapter 2

Cassie huffs, stuffing pillows under her quilt cover. "Illegal." She scoffs, pulling on a jacket and trainers.

"Dangerous." She keeps repeating the words of her parents, throwing the records of Atlantis into her bag.

"I'm sure he'll understand." Cassie mutters, slinging the bag on her back.

The door opposite to hers closes and she smiles, knowing full well her parents had gone to bed. Checking to make sure her fake looked like it was her sleeping, she nods and turns, turning the handle of her door ever so slowly.

Yup. Her parent's door was closed and light snores could be heard from inside.

Tiptoeing out of her room, she closes the door with a soft click and then proceeds down the stairs, lightly on her feet.

With a heavy sigh, Cassie unlocks the front door, stepping out into the chilly night and closing it behind her.

"Sorry, mom, dad." She whispers, looking up to the window at the front of the house. "This is just something I've got to do."

Cassie takes off, looking at her watch and calculating how long it should take her and when she should get back.

The walk there didn't take very long, her mind occupied by the thoughts of Atlantis.

A few minutes past and she's at the door, knocking harshly and hearing the familiar voice shout "hold on."

The door swings open and Cassie smiles. "Uncle Sam!"

"Cassie? The hell are you doing here?" Sam questions, a cigarette hung loosely from his mouth. "When I said you can come over anytime, I didn't mean at 2 in the morning." He adds.

"I need your help. Mom and dad won't listen."

Opening the door wider, he lets his niece hurry in, shutting out the cold. "What's going on?" He asks, eyebrow raised.

"I got the documents from the contact you gave me." She begins and he groans. "I wish I never did now, your dad will kill me if he found out I'm the reason you're chasing Atlantis."

"You three got your adventures, all I get is digging up ancient stuff."

"Which is what your parents did too." Sam points out.

"Yeah, with more thrill and then travelling different places for clues!" Cassie exclaims.

"Listen to your parents, they know what's best for you." Sam tuts and she rolls her eyes.

"C'mon, Uncle Sam. Plato's text tells us that Atlantis 'came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean' and then goes on to say 'there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you, called the Pillars of Heracles'.'' Cassie reads, her bag dumped on the table next to the ashtray.

"We have a location, true it might not be exact, but it's a start." She says.

Sam shakes his head, chuckling as he sits down, putting out the cigarette and leaning back. "Sorry, kid, but I don't want to be in your father's bad books." He tells her.

"Why won't anybody help me! Going after Atlantis isn't as dangerous as everyone's making out." Cassie exclaims.

"Are you sure about that? Do you even know if anyone's going after it apart from you?"

The teenager opens her mouth to speak, but frowns, not having thought about any competition.

"Exactly." Sam states, judging by the look on her face.

"Is gramps about?" She changes the subject, quickly.

"No and you know he hates that." Sam replies and she groans in annoyance. "Fine, guess I'm going to Cadiz by myself then."

"Guess you're going nowhere but home." Sam corrects. "I will walk you there myself and tell your parents why you're out in the first place." He adds, standing.

"No, no, please, they will actually kill me." She pleads.

"Then go home, Cass. You're becoming obsessed with this and it's not healthy." Sam says.

Giving a small smile, she folds up the paper she read from and places it back in her bag, picking it off the table.

"You're right. You all are. That life isn't for me, I'm fine the way I am." She lies and he smiles.

"Good. I'll see you later, alright? No more early morning wake up calls please." Sam instructs, giving his niece a hug.

"You got it. Bye." She waves, heading back out into the cold of the morning.

On the trek back, Cassie kicks a stone on the pavement, frustrated and angry at the adults. "Nobody understands." She says through gritted teeth.

The wind whips through her hair and she pulls her jacket around her tighter, trying to shut out the cold.

Heading up the steps to her front door, Cassie hesitates, but sighs and gently opens it anyway.

The decorations still sat, fallen around the room. The cake and candles still on the table from the party she never joined.

Taking off her trainers and dropping her bag, she lightly steps up to her room, closing the door, but not returning to bed.

Instead, she sits down at her desk, opening up the laptop and wincing at the bright light from the screen.

Another hour passes of just searching and digging for more information until finally, she finds her competition.

Jax Chambers

Cassie leans back in her chair, staring at the name until her eyes go blurry. He was headlining an article about his recent finds leading to the legendary city.

And so goes by another hour of trying to profile together this mystery man, yet not a lot turns up.

The digital clock besides her shines brightly.

5:49

"Shit." She mutters, closing down the laptop and rubbing her eyes.

"Tomorrow. Tomorrow I find out more." She promises to herself, climbing into bed and drifting off to sleep.