Chapter 18 [Kill]

The shot echoes through the room.

A gasp.

The sound of a weapon hitting the floor.

Jax's hair was no longer slicked back. The feeling of wanting Atlantis and (Y/N) has drove him mad and strands fell.

It had drove him mad.

His once cold and calculating, pale blue eyes seemed to die out. The little life he held in them gone. The front of his shirt was soaked with the crimson of his blood and he coughs.

"I'm sorry." He chokes out, his body going limp and crashing to the ground.

(Y/N) stumbles back, in clear shock of the action that she had taken against him. Nate rushes over to her, catching her before she falls and he brings them both down.

Sitting on the floor, he lets her fall onto his lap but she still stared at Jax's lifeless body.

"Look at me, hey, look at me." He orders, placing his hands on her cheeks and gently turning her head to him.

Her (E/C) eyes sparkled with tears and shock. "What have I done?" She breathes out.

"The right thing. That bastard would've killed you in a heartbeat, honey, you know that." He tells her.

"I shouldn't have killed him - I - I, should've taken him to the - to the police." She chokes out.

"No he would've wormed his way out of it." Nate says and then sighs, deciding a different route. "You were protecting your family. Okay? You were protecting us and we're still here thanks to you."

She stares into his eyes that fill her with warmth and comfort and nods.

"I was protecting my family." She repeats. Filled with more confidence, she takes a deep breath. "That asshole deserved that. That's all he ever deserved."

Nate smiles, nodding. "That's right." He presses his forehead against hers.

"We should go." Sam interrupts, crouching down and placing his hand on her back. "C'mon, princess, let's get you out of here."

(Y/N) stands, wiping away her tears and straightening the bottom of her top, turning away from the body.

Cassie collides into her mom, hugging her tightly. "It's okay." She mumbles.

Pulling away, Cassie smiles. "Let's go home, mom." She says and (Y/N) nods, chuckling and ruffling her daughter's hair.

"We can just leave. Go home and tell no one of our findings." Sam says.

"Besides. I got a few tokens and shiny things. Just for us." Sully holds out a few coins and everyone laughs at his behaviour.

"Gramps." Cassie rolls her eyes.

"Oh no, this is his thing." Sam tells her.

Nate hugs his wife, tightly. Giving her a soft kiss, he smiles. "I love you. No matter what."

"I love you too." (Y/N) replies, taking his hand and leading their family out of Atlantis.