Chapter 1

Api never had a normal childhood. Time flew as soon as it came. He didn't have memories of he and his sister sitting on the porch, relaxing as they had ice-cream. He didn't have any memories of loving parents who were there for them when they were down. He certainly didn't have any recollection of him hanging out with his friends, because he didn't have any.

Now, as a young adult, he was able to achieve all of those things. He had good friends, a new family, and everything that he wanted.

But then Bora-ra came and tore it all down.

It wasn't fair. He had done nothing to earn any of the suffering caused in his life. People always said they wanted a meaningful life, not an easy one. Api wanted the opposite. He and his friends had suffered so much that he would rather stress over his math homework than anything else.

Daun had grown up as well. He never thought the day would come, but here she was—a seventeen-year-old teenager, currently the president of the gymnastics club. Air had quit the position and focused on water ballet, watching over Daun's progress in the dark as the advisor.

Despite her appearance, Daun was still the innocent and sweet girl they knew. She was still the shortest among all of them, and her cutesy never faded.

"How's your club holding up?" Daun asked Api on the way to the hospital.

Api shrugged. "It's fine, I guess. It's hard to find people who are interested in boxing nowadays."

That's right, he reminded himself. He was the new president of the boxing club, but he didn't pay much attention. He was there to lead the club and write the occasional report, but without Tanah, nothing mattered.

"I can agree. Everyone's attracted to the new club that my brother started."

"Yeesh. Let's hope that guy's head never gets any larger." Api shoved his hands into his shorts' pockets. "How is he doing? How was your fight at the mall?"

Daun shrugged. "The villain got away before we can arrest him. Angin's fine and all, but he's training really hard for the tournament."

"Great," Api muttered. "We have a Petir 2.0."

The hospital's cold air brushed their faces. Over the course of three years, they were familiar to this place. It was practically their second home, which was sad, considering that they came to this building frequently and made their routine a daily basis.

The nurse recognized them and told them the room number. It had been relocated again.

They thanked the nurse and headed towards the new floor. Every week, they would come here and hope for a miracle. Every time their hopes will die a little, but it will always return when the next visit rolled around.

Stepping into the elevator, Api pressed their designated floor. The door slid closed on both sides, obscuring the lights from their presence.

If her heart was still beating, there was still a chance.

* * *

Petir looked as dead as ever. The only indication of her survival was her chest that moved up and down as she breathed. They could only see her through a glass pane, but what was new? This was their endless routine.

Despite being unconscious for three years, her body remained the same. Her hair didn't grow out. Her height was the same, but she was shorter than Daun now. The same IV was hooked to her arm, but nothing had changed.

Api wasn't sure what to make of the current situation. Halilintar had been forced back, so why hadn't she woken up? The doctors were running around like headless chickens trying to deduce the truth of her ageless coma. The only conclusion they could come up with was her brain had died, killing hormones that stimulated growth.

He didn't know who paid for her expenses, but he was certain that Tanah was the one. He hadn't been seen after a few visits. The final image of Tanah breaking down by his sister's hospital bed was burned into his mind.

Then he simply disappeared.

Daun glanced at Api. "She'll be alright, right?"

Api's jaw tightened. "Yeah," he rasped. "She'll be okay."

"She attacked me and Cahaya once," Daun said. "He told me that she didn't want to. Why did she want to kill me?"

The fire manipulator could only assume. He was present during the exchange between Petir and Bora-ra, but he could only hear glimpses due to the adrenaline gushing through his veins. It's likely that Petir had agreed for Tanah, who was also in the cells at the time.

Even so, Tanah had turned to the dark side, and he almost killed him in the process. Nothing made sense.

It still didn't.

So many dreams had been sacrificed because of Bora-ra.

One too many lives have been sacrificed.

Api clenched his teeth.

He couldn't let that happen to anyone else.

They left the hospital, hearts feeling as empty as ever.

I won't let anyone suffer again.