Chapter 5

Api wasn't sure what he was expecting today. He was supposed to go home, get a shower to refresh his mind, then tackle those infuriating documents he had to sign for his school club. Instead, he was greeted by a broken lock and the faint smell of alcohol at the door.

Gulping, he held a broom that was placed outside as a weapon. If there was a thief, he would go down fighting. Maybe he was being dramatic.

Yes, he sure as hell was being a drama queen.

Kicking the door opened, he held the cleaning utensil high above his head, screaming bloody murder as he infiltrated his own house.

"What took you so long?" Tanah demanded, irritated. He was sitting on the swivel chair by Api's desk, chugging down an alcohol as he glared at the fire elemental.

Api dropped the broom. "T—Tanah? What the hell?"

The earth elemental had changed, and not just his appearance. His hair was white, but the roots were black. He sported an undercut and pale skin, his eyes blood red. He was once two heads taller than Api, but now? He was the same height as him.

Api's head swam. First Petir, now Tanah. The next thing he knew, Cahaya would be sitting in his bathroom singing Let it Go.

"Where have you been?" Api demanded. "It's been three years. Now you show up?"

Tanah crushed the beer can in his hand. "Cut the crap," he snapped. "Where's Petir?"

"You saw?" Api frowned. "Of course you did. I don't know where she is. She just disappeared."

Tanah scowled. "Fucking hell." Storming out the room, he chucked the discarded can on the sidewalk and he began to leave.

Api pursued him. "Wait! What happened? Where were you in these past three years? Have you not grown at all?"

Tanah glared. He was nothing like the kind role model that Api had remembered. There were bruises under his eyes, much like his previous self, but this was someone foreign. Tanah's voice held a slight American accent now.

"Were you in America?" Api asked.

"Fucking pipsqueak hit the jackpot." Tanah growled at him. "Fuck off. I have better things to do."

"Not until you explain what's going on!" Api stood in his path, blocking his way. "Why is your hair white again? Why did you leave Malaysia? Do you know why KikiTa is attacking again?"

Tanah's bashful expression faltered. He lunged at the name KikiTa.

"That slut is alive?" he gripped Api's shoulders. The fire elemental nodded hesitantly, sensing the shift in the gyrokinetic's mood. "That fucking piece of shit—"

"I need your help," Api cut in. "I want to look for Petir as well. After you left, we had no way to contact you. Maybe she participated in that tournament to tell you."

"Petir hated hospitals." Tanah released his shoulders, staring at his combat boots in deep thought. "Of course she fucking pulled that stunt."

"Why haven't you aged?" Api pointed out. "Petir didn't either."

Tanah glanced at him, trying to find a lie. He couldn't find one. Every ounce of this was the cold hard truth.

"I don't fucking know!" Tanah kicked a trashcan. "Look, I lost everything. You really expect me to stick around and pick up the pieces again? Fuck no. Leave me alone, you excuse for a president."

He turned, but Api wasn't someone to relent that easy. Tanah's insults stung, but he had to do this. Tanah had done so much for them and suffered so much that he'd broken himself in the process.