Chapter 14

Solar cut his journey short by using his teleportation. The tunnel was quaking, debris collapsing in random areas, making the path hazardous. Despite the odds, Solar managed to return to the location where they had started, and indeed, the power sphere was still distracted by Reverse Gempa, who fought like a demon.

The light elemental skimmed through the area. The fight had been taking place in the upper levels, which left the majority of the technology intact. If he could find something that shuts this thing down, it would be all over.

Stones and debris fell around him, some nearly crushing him in the process. Bolting to the sea of computers and gadgets, he quickly accessed each one and dismissed them just as quick. Nothing here belonged to what he was looking for. Maybe it was somewhere deeper.

A pillar rose above him, aiming straight for the power sphere. The power sphere screeched like an eagle and decimated the rocky structure with its humungous sphere-shaped body, the debris pouring down on Solar.

There was no time to dodge. He looked up too late, and was only able to let loose a cry of shock before instinct guided his body to raise his hands above his head. Just before the rock collided with him, his jacket was yanked with a force, and a chunk of debris replaced where he used to be standing.

Solar fell on his bottom, his clothes dusty and his visors out of place due to the force. He grunted in pain as he glanced up, to be met with a familiar person crossing his arms, glaring down at him with distaste.

"What are you doing here?" Tanah demanded, red eyes piercing into his soul.

Golden eyes darted towards the gyrokinetic and the doppleganger outside, who was still engaged in a vigorous battle against the unnamed sphere. "Wait, if you're here—then—"

"I don't know how to explain, but it's something similar to Petir." Tanah cringed at his sister's name. "Is she alright?"

The mention of the electrokinetic both reassured him and frightened him. Petir was indeed safe, but at what cost? At much as it pains to say it, it was time for her to be independent, to live without them. There was no way they were getting out of this alive, but he had to hold onto the possibility of returning to her.

"She's outside." Solar nodded. "Come on. Let's get you out of here."

Tanah's cruel expression turned humorous, as if Solar had said a fairly funny joke.

"Out?" Tanah chuckled dryly. "There's no way out. I can sense that we're trapped here. That power sphere is stupidly strong."

"We can defeat it. We defeated Bora-ra, and we can—"

Tanah raised his hand to placate him. "We didn't defeat him. You threw yourself into a black hole with him." He looked down. "You shouldn't have come back."

Solar bit the insides of his cheek. "What? You're my friend, of course I'll come back for you!"

"And I don't want to see you die, you dipshit!" Tanah growled, throwing his hands in the air in exasperation. "You better teleport out of here before that power sphere kills my elemental form. I don't have much time left on it."

"I'm not going," Solar deadpanned. "I'm standing by my best friend."

The power sphere's metal tentacles struck the pillar of the island, throwing it off balance. Fissures formed on the island's base, the flora collapsing and the fauna fleeing. The cave collapsed in on itself, burying the two in rubble as the island crumpled into the deep blue ocean.

Their screams were drowned out by the roars of the waves, and the explosions of rock against metal.

* * *