Chapter 7

"It should be around here." Cahaya squinted at the tracking device in his hand that was linked to the beacon on his wrist by a couple of tacky wires. They didn't have much to work with, but whatever Bora-ra left behind was helpful enough.

Petir knelt down and studied the edge of the cliff. They were at the end of the island, and the ocean raged beneath her feet. Waves crashed against stone repeatedly in a hypnotic matter.

The tracking device beeped green, indicating a find. Cahaya desperately studied the screen, but he could make no sense of it. It displayed the location right in the middle of the ocean, which made no sense. Last he checked, there weren't any islands nearby. Unless a god decided to plop one down to mess with humans, then they're out of luck.

The electrical elemental brushed her guarded arm warily. "Something has to be wrong."

Cahaya frowned. "Yeah. It says there's land, an island, perhaps—but they don't just appear on earth like ads in Youtube videos."

"Maybe we should just give up. As long as that beacon stays safe, we will be."

"This thing," Cahaya fumed, snapping a finger against the gold metal, "is a remote control. You're not safe. I'm getting you cured, one way or the other."

Petir looked like she wanted to retort, that she wouldn't mind being manipulated as long as he and Tanah stays safe, but he recognized the fire in Cahaya's eyes. Nothing could stop him now. The best she could do is hope for the better.

She stared up to the horizon. There was nothing but the stormy sky, muffled thunder and endless sea ahead. It was supposed to be empty, but then again... they'd cheated the rules of time. What was weirder than that? They'd defied every law of physics and biology possible just by existing. Maybe an invisible island in the middle of the sea wasn't as far-fetched as it may seem.

"We should head over and check," Petir decided. "But how?"

Cahaya bit his thumb. "I don't know. I'm not sure if I can teleport there. I don't have an exact location. We might end up in the Bermuda Triangle, for all I know."

"Why can't we just destroy it?" Petir eyed the beacon.

"It's linked to you." Cahaya faltered. "If it's destroyed, you die too. It's a failsafe that Bora-ra set up to prevent someone else... uh, I—"

"Using me," Petir finished. "I know. I agreed to that myself."

They turned to opposite directions from the grievous conversation. This topic was delicate among them. Just as Cahaya was about to suggest stealing a boat, a hand was clamped over his shoulder and he yelped out of shock. Petir whirled in surprise, only for her eyes to widen.

Stiffly, Cahaya turned around.

Tanah glared daggers at him, and that's when Cahaya knew that Tanah was still as scary as ever. Both of them were still the same height. If it wasn't for Tanah's change of appearance, they might as well have been greeting each other in their school's locker room.

Petir's expression shifted through shock, terrified and relief within a span of microseconds. Both her and Cahaya's vocal chords had chosen this gracious moment to die in their throat.

At least he got the message, Cahaya thought.

"Who the fuck are you?" Tanah growled, silver brass knuckles glinting on his fist. They certainly weren't for show.

Petir stepped forward. "Tanah, that's Cahaya. Calm down."

Tanah ignored her. He grabbed Cahaya's collar, forcing lethal eye contact as Cahaya's back was coated in cold sweat. He dropped the tracker to the ground. Yep. He was going to die here.

"Tanah," Cahaya said calmly, which surprised him. He was terrified out of his mind, but he couldn't let that show. This was Tanah, after all. "It's me. Cahaya."

"Don't fuck with me." Tanah's fist tightened. "Cahaya died three years ago. Who are you and what are you doing to my sister?"

"I am Cahaya," he repeated. "I'm alive. I never died. Time works differently in the black hole. Petir's unharmed. I would never do anything to her."

"Bullshit," the gyrokinetic barked, red eyes piercing into Cahaya's brown ones. Cahaya's survival instinct kicked in and his watch clicked on its own as Tanah did not waver. Things were about to get ugly, but Petir wasn't one to stand by.

"TANAH!" Petir screamed, voice deep and firm. "He's telling the truth!"

Both Tanah and Cahaya relaxed in shock. Petir had never raised her voice no matter how dire the situation. Even against Solar in the battle on that skyscraper, she'd accepted her fate in silence. In fact, Petir had never increased her volume ever since she'd been kidnapped at a young age.

Tanah's clenched hand released the fabric of Cahaya's turtleneck shirt. Cahaya's watch died down. They avoided eye contact, as if they'd been busted for fighting by a teacher.

A pair of strong arms suddenly wrapped themselves around Petir. She looked up in shock, only to see Tanah pulling her close. Despite losing her sense of time, their last hug seemed like a century ago. She wrapped her arms around him, holding back tears. Everything had finally calmed down. This was still her brother, Tanah. No matter what he looked like, he would still be the same, even if he smelled like alcohol.

He rested his chin on her head. He didn't want to lose her again. Not after everything they'd experienced.

Cahaya stared at the two, smiling in satisfaction. They were finally reunited. Leaning down, he picked up the tracker, eyes still fixed on the sky.

The clouds cleared ahead, and Cahaya frowned as he rose. Eyes narrowing, an island revealed itself as its obstacles were cleared. Tanah and Petir pulled apart, both fixated on the new patch of land ahead.

A floating island.

* * *

Tanah's powers were handier than Cahaya thought it would be. No offense to the guy itself, but he'd always thought they were only for brute force and defence. Then again, their powers would always meld themselves in their will. Petir could create swords of lightning. He could shoot beams out of his eyes.

The trip to the island was simpler than they thought. Reverse Gempa stomped his foot and three tunnels appeared under their footing each. After some impromptu screaming, they appeared onto the edge of the island like children bursting out of slides, just from the ground.

"This doesn't make any sense," Cahaya muttered, brushing dirt off his clothes. "How can an entire island float?"

Tanah crossed his arms and stared at the tallest mountain. "Fuck logic. Where's the lab?"

Petir brushed her finger along her guarded arm. She regarded her surroundings warily. "I can sense that something is definitely here," she said.

Cahaya felt dread prick up his spine. If she was able to connect with something, then this was definitely the work of Bora-ra, or something similar. If there was another beacon that matched her frequency...

"We have to hurry this up." Cahaya realized that bringing Petir along was a mistake. This was a risk that he'd rather not take, but without the risk there would be no outcome. "Follow me."

He walked into the alien woods, and the pair of siblings followed his lead.