Chapter 16

Cahaya wasn't certain on their next objective. Everything happened too fast for either of them to comprehend.

After escaping from death's clutches, they headed towards the beachside café, caked in sand and blood, and casually ordered two cappuccinos with extra cream and sugar. He wasn't usually a person that had a sweet-tooth, but he's willing to make an exception for such an occasion.

He is certain that he'd traumatized the teen waiter for life.

Tanah stared at the porcelain cup on the wooden table, but his hands never left his lap. His eyes were dull and his expression deep in thought, with no regards for the world around him.

Cahaya shifted in his seat uncomfortably, his plastic chair creaking as he did.

"What now?" Tanah wisped, voice whispery and reedy. "We don't even know where Petir is."

Cahaya pursed his lip, his crossed legs unfolding, the cup in his hand settling back to the table with a clink. The beach breeze gusted by the windowless café, blowing the steam from the untouched caffeine.

The light elemental glanced at the sea outside, hands finding its way into his jean pockets. Sapphire blue waves broke to the shore, silver foam dissolving into the wind.

Yeah, they had no clue. That doesn't mean they had the right to stay like this. They had to do something.

"The beacon I gave her contains a tracker," Cahaya said, attracting his friend's attention. The gyrokinetic's chin lifted, and their gazes met. "If I can find the right devices, then I should be able to track her down."

Tanah's red eyes brightened, just a little, but it was hope. "Where do we start?"

Cahaya nodded. "The first step; finding our friends."

* * *

Daun never really had a choice to anything. She felt so useless, so weak, so expendable, and replaceable.

It was only a matter of time before they decided that she was a deadweight.

She woke up in the hospital bed, clad in the dreggy, dull hospital robes, and an empty room. The sheets that covered her was thin, which explained why she was feeling cold. Despite the sun's golden light pouring onto her bed, aglow from the dusty window, the temperature of the room remained low.

And it wasn't just the temperature.

Her caramel eyes shifted around the room slowly, as if something might pounce on her. There were no hostilities, which was good. She didn't like people trying to scratch her face off.

A needle was embedded into her veins, linked to an IV by her bed. The packet was empty, with half a dozen of similar, dried out bags by the hangers, all abandoned. She must have been out for some time.

Warily, she removed the needle from her skin, and a small trickle of blood followed, drops of blood staining the white sheets in accident. She let the IV's needle rest on her bed, as she tried to stand.

Her feet dangled in the air, still buried in the sheets, palms resting on the mattress to keep her balance. Her mouth felt dry, but her tongue licked her chapped lips, ready for what she's going to do.

Intaking a deep breath, she pulled the sheets off, and stepped onto the tiled, chilling floor on her own.

Only one foot touched the ground.

* * *

When Angin found his sister, she was already in hysterics.

"Daun, what's wrong?" Angin rushed to her side, the room doors swinging wildly behind him. He was still in hospital standardized clothing too, but his movements weren't as restricted as before. He had recovered faster than her.

Daun was sprawled on the ground, leaning on her hospital bed, face blotched with tears, her watch sparking uncontrollably. Her fingernails dug into her cheeks, which Angin quickly pried them apart.

"What's wrong?" Angin demanded, setting her hands down. "You can tell me."

Daun choked on her tears. "You—you can't! You... you... don't know—know how i—it feels—I—I—"

Angin's analytic gaze scanned her, and he soon realized the problem. His heart felt as if it had been run through by a spear, his throat contracting in grief.

Why?

Tears rushed to his eyes, his hands clasping Daun's wrists gently, his thumb rubbed circles on her palm, trying to comprehend the situation.

"I—I—" Daun sobbed, her head hanging low, curly hair obscuring her face. "I can't b—be a he—hero, anymore," she grieved. "Not—not like this...!"

Angin raised his hand to her head, and he gently laid her on his shoulder, his other hand rubbing her back, clasping her tight. She held onto his clothes, crying into the nook of his shoulder, her sobs muffled.

"You're still a hero." Angin's voice cracked, stroking her head. "You can't let this stop you. You're my sister, alright? I'll be here with you."

Daun sniffed, her teeth clenching. Slowly, she looked up to him, meeting his teary, grieving gaze.

"Promise?" she said.

"Promise."

* * *

"Something is interfering with our systems, Boss."

"What's the reason?"

"Well, it appears to be a human."

"That's impossible. Earth is lightyears away."

"The statistics don't lie, sire."

"..."

"What do you propose, Boss?"

"No need. I'll deal with this myself."