Chapter 22 - New Village

[A/n: Chapter's old title: A New Friend]

Harumi pov:

I covered the lower half of my face with the back of my hand while I hunched over, taking the support of the tree trunk next to me while breathing heavily. My face was still steaming from having kissed Madara on the cheek before running away in sheer fluster. I can't believe I did something so embarrassing! Where did I even get the courage to do that?!

Shaking my head with a helpless sigh, I fanned my face with my hands to quell the blush. I then continued on to the small peaceful village just a few steps ahead of me. There were a few people bustling around and I smiled, heartwarmed by the happiness I saw on the faces of families that shopped at the different small shops here and there. It reminded me of when I had my ceramic ware stall and spent hours on end in front of the wheel to make sure the stall was always filled with pieces customers could buy. And then I would go home and cook dinner from me and Grandpa and we would sit in front of the kiln while drinking tea and watching the stars after that.

It was surprising that it had already been two weeks since Grandpa had passed on and it was only thanks to Kabuto kun and Madara that I had been able to stand on my feet again. I was really grateful to both of them for helping me pull through the ordeal.

I had also taken my time in the hideout to think of my relationship with Madara and Kabuto kun. Madara's care and affection for me was genuine even though his forcefulness was rather scary in the beginning. I got used to it over time though and saw a gentler side to him that I hadn't expected to see. And after reading about his past, I kind of understood why he was so crude and scary and also that there was something he saw in me that he had never seen or bothered to see in anyone esle before.

I had accepted the fact that I liked him to the point that I reveled in his kisses and I was incredibly comfortable when wrapped up in his arms. I had even kissed him on his cheek on my own accord today! I trusted him and perhaps it was apt to say that I trusted Madara now almost as much as I had trusted Grandpa.

Unfortunately, I couldn't say the same thing about Kabuto kun. He was still someone I considered as a good friend but he had lied to me. He had told me that he and Orochimaru san worked for the happiness of the Sound Village as well as the world and that they were the good guys. But they worked for their personal goals – doing experiments on people and stealing information on forbidden jutsus and so on...his change in demeanor and appearance had decreased the trust I had in him.

Shaking my head to stop my mind from wandering, I continued to walk through the village streets. No one had acknowledged me and I didn't take the initiative to talk to anyone either. However, I came to a stop just outside a flower shop upon noticing a 'Help Wanted' poster on its window. I smiled at the beautiful flowers on display, already liking the idea of working here. With a deep inhale, I stepped inside.

"Excuse me?" I said when I was near the cash counter. I heard shuffling from the room behind the counter and a middle aged man walked out from the door just a few minutes later.

"Oh! Hello, dear! How can I help you?" he asked.

"I saw the "Help Wanted' poster outside and I was wondering if I could apply for the job," I answered and he smiled warmly.

"Sure you can! But I don't think I've seen you before...are you new to the village?" he asked and I nodded.

"I actually live in a village a little away from here but I came here because we don't have enough jobs there," I lied, though felt slightly uncomfortable about it.

"I see," he said with a nod. "What is your name, dear?"

"I'm Harumi."

"That's a lovely name, Harumi chan! I'm Sawa Yuuji, by the way, and I've decided to give you the job! I have a feeling that you're a hardworking and dependable girl," he said and handed me a book. "This has the prices of the different flowers I have for sale in the shop and you can take a few days to memorize them. I know it's your first day here and I should be here to help you out but my granddaughter is sick and there's no one at home to take care of her. Would you be alright taking care of the shop by yourself?"