Chapter 10

*if youre wondering, Hiccup is around 17. So between HTTYD and HTTYD2. Jack is still the same, around 18 and older than Hiccup.*

Hiccup could hear Gobber's grunts and metal clashing before he even entered the blacksmith. A large window stood at the far end, several man and women standing in a crowd, all talking at once. Hiccup moved to the back door, squeezing in, trying not to knock down the abundance of hammers that was piled on the desk. He approached Gobber, who was running around, well as much as his wooden leg would allow him, and was working on a saddle. Hiccup cleared his throat and said, "Hey Gobber," in a slow voice. The large man swoon around. His bushy mustache grew on the ends as he smiled and said, "Aye Hicup, glad you coul' join meh." He picked up a unfinished saddle and threw it into his arms. "They want spikes, but limit them, star'ing to run out." Hiccup sighed and placed the leather down. "Actually Gobber, i have to leave,"

"But you just got here," he said confused.

"Well i mean, I'm leaving" he paused, "for a few weeks." Gobber stopped, the hammer that was screwed into his left arm laid on the table.

"What do yer mean?"

"I have an errand to run,"

"Does yer father know?" He asked quickly.

"Of course not," Hiccup replied. "But it's  urgent." Gobber slowly nodded.

"Okay, but what about around here, the demand is risin'. I'm going to need help."

"I'll ask the twins"

"NO!" Gobber spoke loudly, stress crossing his face. "Last time they entered, they almost burned th' place down," pointing to the ceiling which was still charred in some spots. Hiccup nodded again, "I can ask Astrid then." Gobber just nodded before returning to work. Hiccup sighed with relief when he approached Toothless outside. He was glad the big man didn't ask him where he was going and why. Hiccup didn't even understand himself, let alone trying to explain it to a viking.

❄️

Jack lazily strolled back to Hiccup's house, taking longer paths, dodging behind buildings and retracting his steps. Snow was lightly falling, Vikings around him leaving their prints in the mixture. His main objective was to caught someone's eye, anyone's. Even the beading eyes of a dragon. But after traveling down every lane in the village, no ones gaze matched Jack's. Sure they looked in his direction, but never at him. There was a time when someone gasped, Jack spun around, cheerful that he was spotted, but the woman had just dropped a loaf a bread. Feeling defeated, he finally returned back to Hiccup's. His staff was heaved over Jack's shoulder, his blue sweater had formed frost around his neck and on the inside of his pocket. Jack noticed this and figure it was helpful when he was getting to warm, leaving a nip of cold running down his chest. The white haired teen glanced over at the sound of Hiccup's voice, the rider standing tall next to a young viking, her blonde hair falling into her eyes, causing her to swipe them to the side several times. Astrid, Jack remembered. Before his family moved to the forest, he used to play fight with her. She used to be such a sweet girl, always wearing a smile. That was before she grew up, and had to protect her village. Her face was twisted in frustration and her hand was on her hips, very close to a hanging ax. Jack knew the ax was retired from Dragon hunting, as were the rest of all the weapons. Maybe Astrid carried it around for confront. Hiccup stood in front of her, his hand running through his hair, before grabbing a very tiny braid. He was becoming impatient and was tapping his foot, the one he still had.

Jack grew curious and moved towards them. Hiccup glanced at him quickly, while Astrid looked at her dragon behind her, "Can you believe him Stormfly?" He huffed. Jack looked from her to him, before grabbing the green fabric that was almost hidden behind the leather of Hiccup's suit on his right arm. He tugged to get Hiccup's attention. Slowly the green eyes met the blue ones. "Lets go," Jack said, quieter then he needed to, she couldn't hear him, "we have packing and planning." Hiccup nodded quickly, but sent him a "one second," look. Astrid had finished whatever we was talk to the dragon about and looked back. "Astrid," Hiccup started, "I have to go on this journey.  I need to see. I need to figure this out." Jack felt a little happy that Hiccup cared. That he needed to do this. He didn't want to. Needed. "I'll be gone maybe 2 weeks. The chief will be home within the day." He heard Astrid begin to talk but Hiccup cut her off "No you can't come with me. I need to do this alone. I need someone i trust to stay behind." Astrid tried to talk again. "I can't explain it. I just need to go." Finally giving in she sighed and shook her head. Her bangs flopping around."Fine. I just hope its worth it. Ill stop by Gubber's after my flight." Hiccup smiled greatly. "Thank you Astrid!" She nodded before stalking off with her blue dragon. Jack watched after her, her words replying in his head. "I just hope its worth it." Jack couldn't agree more.

❄️

Hiccup planned the trip as they headed to his house. Toothless on his left, Jack to the right. "We'll need to take a few breaks while traveling . If we time ourselves and keep a good speed, we could even make it before the week ends." Hiccup hobbled along, chatting, but Jack still wasn't as confident. He interrupted the young viking when he brought up fishing to lighten the food supply. They had finally reached the large wooden home, and Hiccup reached out to open the door. "Hiccup, what if," Jack started, rubbing his neck as he stepped through the threshold, "what if we take this huge journey, through no telling what, and come up short? There could be nothing out there but actually what it says on the map. Ice."

Hiccup stopped, placing the leather bag that he had picked up on the table, and turned to Jack. He placed his hand on the older's shoulder. "Jack. You want to know what happened to you right?" Jack nodded. "Well the answers aren't here. We checked and we were given this piece of information. It's not much and it is pretty sketchy," Hiccup chuckled. "But, it's the most we have received since you....returned. So lets just try. What's the worst that could happen?" Hiccup smirked and squeezed Jack's shoulder once before returning back to his packing.

"Why are you so interested in helping?" Jack asked. Hiccup looked at him, a firm smile forming on his face, glowing like a fire.

"Why not?"

Jack rolled his eyes, muttering, "stubborn" under his breath, before turning away with a slight blush.

Okay, here the question today: why do you think Hiccup is helping Jack? Is there more behind it? Or is he just being a kind person?

Leave your thoughts in the comments or message me!

YAY!? Another chapter done! Thank you guys for the 1k+ reads!! I love seeing your comments and thoughts! Shout out to:

briannais13

For the awesome message! Definitely motivated me to write!

Good luck to everyone in school!

Til next chapter