e l e v e n

———

Daryl's POV

I lay in the back of the abandoned car, staring at the ceiling. Seven and Sofia are both gone and it's about the only thing I can think about. He's my dog. How do I even lose him like that? Is he okay? Is he keepin' Sofia safe? Those questions seeming to storm my brain the most.

I was worried sick.

Seven's POV

We were running, the trees whizzing past us as we both let out panted breaths. My side was felt like it was burning from the amount of running being done and I'm sure Sofia might collapse at any minute.

We'd only slept for about five hours before the farmhouse got overrun by a small herd of about ten walkers. But it was enough walkers where we needed to run. We came across a stream, Sofia stops momentarily to look at me with her doll in hand, fear evident in her eyes. "We're gonna cross it." My eyes widen, It's too high and fast for me to cross it.

She quickly jumps in it, the water going up to about her stomach, while it goes well above my head. I can't swim! The groans of the walkers are heard from behind me, that and the protection of Sofia being the only reason I jump in.

That was a mistake.

The water engulfs my head, I desperately try to keep my head above water as I begin to get washed down stream. The walkers continue to go after Sofia, her dropping her doll into the water during her struggle. I see Sofia make it to the other side her calling out my name, but is scared off by the walkers in her pursuit.

Her calls are muffled by the water that is constantly going above my head, my head breaching water for only a second before it goes back under. The doll, being lighter, gets to me pretty fast, I quickly grab onto it out of panic. My feet scrape against the rocks while my body is thrown around hitting small boulders. The pain erupting from my side being far greater then before.

I can't breathe.

I see black dots begin to cloud my vision. Am I really going to die? Is Sofia okay? Did the walkers get her? What about Daryl? Is he safe? Is he looking for us? Please don't let me die without Daryl. These thoughts swarm my head before darkness overtakes me.

Daryl's POV

I woke up, breathing heavy. The events from before my slumber invading my mind before and ominous feeling washed over me. Something was wrong.

I sit up, rubbing my face in an attempt to rid any sleep from my system. I look out the back window and see the sun just barely peaking over the horizon.

Yesterday, I'd spent all day looking for Sofia and Seven, even a little bit of time after dark but it didn't matter since I was basically tripping over my own feet. Carol blames Rick for Sofia getting lost, which isn't really fair but it ain't my business. My business is finding Seven. That dog is strong, he'll be fine. That's what i'd tell myself but I couldn't shake the bad feeling I was getting that morning.

We were gonna have a search early in the morning but it seems i'm the only one awake. I grab my crossbow and place it in my lap before nodding off again with the thoughts of mostly Seven concerning my mind.