t w e n t y - f i v e

Seven's POV

———

Surviving. That's all we've come to learn. How to survive in this now fucked up world. We ain't livin' no more. All we're doing is moving from place to place, migrating, scared that we may die. When will we live? I mean, of course we're alive and breathing, but we're not living.

"This look like a good place?" Daryl asks, pointing towards a house we found in the middle of the woods while looking at Rick for his answer. I stand beside Daryl, as always glued to the hip.

"About as good as any." Was Rick's bitter reply.  Rick, Carl, T-Dog, Daryl and I walk towards the front door, all with their weapons up. Lori and Beth were to stay in the cars while the rest, Hershel, Maggie, and Glenn, were to stay outside of the house and keep watch that way we don't get flanked by a horde.

Rick busts open the door and we all storm in. Rick shoots a walker with his silenced revolver, and T-Dog, who was in-front of us, stabs the other  with a spear he had made. Those two being the only ones we saw, we then moved in. Daryl kicked open the door some more, him and I beginning to clear out the right side of the house.

I walk slightly in front of him, that way when we turn corners he'd know in advance if there were any around the corner. Another reason for me walking in front was for being able to smell what's behind closed doors.

We come across a closed door, I put my nose to the bottom of the door and sniff a couple times.  Rick. I paw at Daryl's pant leg twice, meaning "friendly." If I paw at his leg once then it means, walker. Though if I paw at his leg three times it means, alive or, human. I haven't had to use it yet but, it's good to know it.

Rick shoves open the door with his pistol raised at Daryl's head. Daryl's crossbow is already down and Rick lowers his pistol. Daryl lets out a short laugh, "Should get yourself a dog." I look up at him, with a confused face. No, thank you. Rick scoffs at what Daryl said before we head our separate ways.

We eventually come across another room with the door cracked open. I don't smell a walker, somebody I know or don't know, instead I smell something else. Something that makes my tail slightly wag and my mouth water. Daryl pushes open the door and right in front of an open window, perched on the back of a rocking chair, was an owl. Daryl slowly approaches it and releases a bolt, instantly killing it.

I go and retrieve the dead animal, "At least we got a little snack." Daryl says to me. I make an odd grunting noise, signaling that I agree.

We walk back and and climb down the stairs, T-dog behind the two of us. Rick had signaled the all clear as every began to bring their stuff inside.

Lori is due very soon, making a lot of us dreadful for when she goes into labor. Not for the reason of having another mouth to feed, but more so because we don't have all of the equipment you'd typically need.

Rick and Lori's relationship has been pretty rocky for awhile because of what Rick did back at the farm. Which is bullshit, may I add. Not him killing Shane but y'know.. Lori being mad at him for it. But because of their differences and ignorance they are blind to how Carl feels about it. Which is also bullshit.

Since the lovers quarrel has affected Carl, he's often found around me. I guess i've sorta become a way for him to get his mind off of things.