The Second Task

I don't own Harry Potter or any of the characters, they belong to JK Rowling

The Second Task was a couple of weeks away. Thirteen days, seventeen hours and twenty minutes to be exact. Harry was sat in the Fourth Year Boys' dormitory, glaring at his egg. He hadn't dared open it since the night of the First Task because, funnily enough, he didn't fancy his eardrums exploding. He didn't know what he was looking for, maybe some sort of clue on the outside of the egg as to what the screeching, wailing sound it emitted meant. However, he had been laying in his bed staring at it for over an hour, yet come up with nothing. He'd tried everything. He'd thrown it across the room, shouted at it, asked it question, he even tried Parseltongue, all to no avail. He was so immersed with staring at the egg that he didn't notice the arrival of three boys, one his age, two a couple of years older. "Hey, Harry!" Ron exclaimed. Harry leapt up in surprise and dropped his egg, clutching his chest. "Blimey, Ron! You could've just cleared your throat or something!" Ron laughed. "Sorry. Thought you were awake."
"I was." Harry grumped as he picked his heavy, golden egg up from the floor. "How's it coming?" George asked, startling Harry. He hadn't noticed the twins come in with Ron. Harry looked over at them, dropped his egg again, and flung himself into Fred's arms. "Oof! Ok, then, we're hugging. Hi." Fred said as Harry pummelled into him. Fred wove his arms round Harry as they locked each other in a tight embrace. Harry heard Ron and George shuffling to sit down, but paid no attention. He needed Fred right now, the Task was so near, and Harry had no clue what to do about his egg. All he got was screaming and wailing, none of which made sense. He inhaled Fred's scent, and instantly relaxed. It was a mix of cologne, sweat, wind and toffee. It smelt wonderful. It smelt like Fred. He held onto Fred tighter as he relaxed, and felt Fred do the same. There was no real intimacy within the hug, it just made him feel safe and loved. Ron cleared his throat quietly and Fred and Harry broke away. "What on earth did I do to deserve that, then?" Fred said, kissing the top of Harry's head. Harry shrugged. "Dunno. Just needed it. This Tournament's stressful, so is this damn egg." He said, sitting back in his bed next to Ron and, once again, grabbing his egg from the floor. The twins sat on Ron's bed, looking at the egg. "I've heard that noise before." George said after a few minutes of silence. "What?" Harry said. "Now you mention it? Brilliant!" He said sarcastically. He was slightly frustrated with George, but the older boy didn't seem to mind. "Open it." The other three occupants of the room looked at George in shock. "What?" They said together. "Open it. Open the egg!" Harry inhaled deeply. Fred and Ron clapped their hands over their ears, looking frightened. Ron scurried over to sit next to Fred, away from the egg. Harry tensed, and George looked at the egg with utmost concentration. Harry opened the egg. Once again, the screaming and wailing issued from the interior of the egg. Harry tensed massively and was about to close the egg, but George signalled for him not to. Ron and Fred were shouting something, and Harry was screaming at George to hurry up, but George barely flinched. At long last, George signalled for Harry to close the egg. Once the ringing in his ears had stopped, he noticed that the buzz of noise that was coming from the Common Room before Harry opened the egg had silenced. Fred, Ron and Harry looked at George, who appeared to be thinking hard. "George?" Fred asked, giving his twin a slight shake. George waved him off as though to tell him to wait a second. Fred, however, didn't. "We better not have all just gone trough that crap for nothing!" He said, slightly angrily. George didn't reply, only narrowed his eyes slightly. "Open it again." He said.
"No way! Not again!"
"Are you joking?"
"We'll all be deaf if he has to open it again!" Came the three combined replies from Ron, Harry and Fred. George looked up slightly angrily and glared at them all. "If you want me to figure out what the bloody hell that is, open the damn thing!" George half-yelled. "Brace yourselves. I'm opening it." Harry said to Ron and Fred, both of whom grabbed a pillow and crammed it over their ears. Harry tensed again, preparing for the inevitable pain, and George resumed his observing/thinking position. Harry tensed even more, inhaled, and opened the egg. Once again, the wailing, screeching sound emitted from it and Harry's entire body seemed to convulse in protest.