Keep holding on

That was a shot, right? Had he heard right? When he saw all the reactions from the kids he realized that he in fact had heard right. Fuck! What if Joyce...? No, he couldn't think like that, he had to be react quickly. He couldn't think in the worst way because that would destroy him and the kids didn't need to see that, he needed to hold on. He could still shouts coming from inside the house, so that was good, that meant they were still there fighting, alive. He saw Jonathan going to the front door at full speed, but he stopped him, he couldn't let him got into the fire.

- You are not going anywhere. - Hopper said pushing Jonathan out of the way.

- You can't tell me what to do! She's my mum! - Jonathan argued angrily.

He couldn't let Jonathan into the house, into a probably crime scene. Joyce would never want any of her sons to put himself on danger for her. And it was not just about doing what he thought Joyce would want, it was that he really cared for Jonathan and Will too. He loved those kids and he realised he wanted to protect them, just as much as he always wanted to protect Eleven.

- And i'm the chief, so let me handle it! - Hopper argued back. - I promise i'll let you all in once everything is clear and she's okay. - He assured to try to calm him down.

- I'm going, i can use my powers to stop them. - Eleven said interrupting them.

- No way, those men are not the kind of people i want them to know about your powers. - Hopper said .

- He's right, we can't trust them. - Will said holding Eleven's hand.

- Fine. - Eleven accepted.

- Nancy you still know how to use a gun? - Hopper asked.

- Yes. - Nancy answer.

- Good, then you're coming with me. - He said giving her his second gun. - Steve stay here and make sure no one enters the house until i say so, okay? - He gave his last order.

- Okay, i'll do. - Steve assisted.

The first thing he saw when he got inside the house was glasses all over the floor, and then he saw Joyce. She was alive and that made him feel like he could breathe again. But not for long if he didn't do anything to stop what was happening. Lonnie had her stuck to the wall and was strangling her, and Liam was pointing them with a gun as he said words of encourage for Lonnie.

- This is the police, Lonnie stop and Liam put your gun down! - He ordered loudly so they could heard him.

The moment of surprise made Lonnie stop, so Joyce pushed him away from her and punched him in the face with all her strengths. He felt proud of her in that moment, that she still could find strength in the situation to keep fighting. He saw that Lonnie's nose started bleeding and for the way he was cursing he hoped his nose was broken. He went to him, pushed him to the floor and handcuffed him.

- Are you okay? - He asked, turning to Joyce because she was all he cared about.

- Yes. - She answered in a broken voice, still trying to catch her breath.

- Put your gun down. - He ordered getting back to confront Liam. Nancy had been pointing him all the time with the gun he gave her, and he felt glad that he chose her as backup because she was holding the situation really well.

- Hi Jimmy. - Liam greeted him with a teasing smile.

- Don't call me like that. - Hopper said.

- I was surprised when i found out you are the chief of police, i thought that you didn't wanted to be like your father. - Liam said as he look at Hopper upside down.